Discuss 5.3 kw double oven on a 20 amp fuse with 2.5 cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

egginyourface

evening all,

I was told to run 2.5 cable from fuseboard to supply a 3.5 kw single oven. Job is done....

Now they've said theyre going to put in a 5.3kw double oven in.

Question i have is can I apply diversity to this and keep 2.5t+e or do i need to run a new 6mm,

advice would really appreciated

thanks

23 amps. Well technically 20amp fuse still exists so the cable is protected subject to normal de-rating considerations. Pushing it a bit IMHO. I think I`d recommend an upgrade in writing so if/when you have to go back to upgrade your covered. Sometimes these ovens have 5.3kw or something on them and that includes 3 elements say 2x grill and 1x rear circular fan element. As its unlikely or impossible perhaps to have the rear fan oven element on at same time as the grill you would be under 20 amps again

Last edited:
as a1guvner says. alteration in design, extra work, extra cost.

the diversity allowance for cooking appliances in a household is 10amps + 30% f.l ( full load if i remember right ) +5amps if the cooker outlet has an incorperated socket outlet.

which gives around 15A without a socket outlet ( top of head as calculator not to hand). so 2.5mm on 20A is adequate. problem would arise if they added a hob or changed to oven for a higher rated one.

just worked it out. 5300/230 = 23A

10A + (0.3 x 13 ) = 13.9A. where did 16.9 come from?

1.divide the watts by 230 to give a total load current figure.
2. apply diversity: 10A + 30% of remainder = answer. add 5A if a socket outlet is incorporated.

just worked it out. 5300/230 = 23A

10A + (0.3 x 13 ) = 13.9A. where did 16.9 come from?

are you saying its 30% of whats left of the 23 amps after taking the 10 off? I thought the fl (in the osg) meant full load so 30% of 23 amps (not 13amps) ie 6.9 amps plus the 10
equalling 16.9

Last edited by a moderator:
its the first 10A...then 30% of whats left......then if theres a BS1363 outlet incorperated into the double pole iso for the cooker....then just add 5A......

So in your case it would be 230/5300= 23a
First 10a than 30% of remainder (23-10=13) 13/100=0.13x30=3.9a. Than add your original 10a on gives you 13.9a, and if you have a socket add 5a so your total would be 17.9a. 2.5 would still be ok but you run future risks if anything changes or they deciede to open their doors to the homeless :p

(PS this calculation does not take into account any factors for the cable run)

and if adding up multiple loads on a single circuit.....so lets say that you have several cookers all fed from one circuit...then you would apply diversity to EACH LOAD SEPERATELY...then add up the total......

this of course will dictate the size of overcurrent device you will use at origin....which in turn will give you the correct cable size to use.....installation method, ambient tempreture, grouping and length of run taken into account of course.....

sorry i meant 30% of the 13 amps

The cable run is about 12metres long and run in yt2 trunking with a 10mm earth for the gas. Only about 1 metre of it is actually buried

Reply to 5.3 kw double oven on a 20 amp fuse with 2.5 cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock