Discuss 5/8th Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was helping out on a rewire a few months ago, just for pin money you understand, unocupied large country house the buyer had" loads a money" to quote STAVROS.

Any how would I like to start the lighting on the ground floor? ripped all the old floor covering up, to my surprise lots of flooring traps marked lighting, lifted them up, all screwed with Brass screws, 5/8 screwed conduit with inspection "Ts" Right angles etc, a work of art, must have taken an absolute age to install, pity I had to rip as much as possible out to make way for the new PVC/PVC wiring, (hang on need to get a tissue to wipe away the tears) I wonder how many of todays DIshave come across such craftmanship, not many I bet.

I have , but it was steel wire with lead weights and multiple brass wheel angle pulleys and guides for a telegraph system in an old hall.
It too was a work of art.
The old lead gas lighting pipes were still intact on the walls , complete with taps.

Artists all of them in those days Mate, when I think of the jobs I had to do when I was a lad, (go on mock all you want, nowadays it's wack a new plastic box in, it'll do) What ever happened tp the word "TRADESMAN" the bash it in boys have a lot to learn.

Yep, I have ripped loads out myself over the years, it was a work of art, and more to the point folk had/spent the time too make such a nice job, not all the rush and tear like today.!

They are still there I think , but it is the time factor and cost that comes first now.
I know a lot of good lads that can not do the job to the standard they want.
It is not confined to the electrical trade either.
Some of the back street business turn out some astounding jobs, a lot of them are old hands too.
Some people will not pay the money for the decent materials , never mind the cost of a good job. It is everywhere now, usually the lowest bidder is in.

Nowt wrong with that , you can tell most of the lads on here have pride in their work and tools .
Given a free hand all the jobs would be first class.
Our new hospital is an example of the dash to save cash . The finishing is appalling.

Reply to 5/8th Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net