• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss 5 core flex to combi in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
Need to wire a supply to combi with LNE connections, and 2 volt free cores for room stat.
I don't really see why I can't use 5 core flex for this, as all cores insulated to 500v, but plumber insisting they need to be in separate flexes...any thoughts?

Cheers

Leesparkykent

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Some manufacturers instructions......can’t remember off the top of my head though, state a separate cable should be used for the volt 3 connections.

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
Cheers,

This is a Worcester. Will get him to check mi tomorrow and see if this is what he's on about...annoying if I need to run in a second flex though!

Leesparkykent

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cheers,

This is a Worcester. Will get him to check mi tomorrow and see if this is what he's on about...annoying if I need to run in a second flex though!
Out of interest what Worcester? I haven’t touched one for a little while now, but I’ve never come across a Worcester with a volt free connection.

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
I would do it in 5 core but to keep wet pants happy just do in two flexes next he'll be moaning regarding the gas bonding not being at the external meter. Have you already put the flex in?

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
Interesting....I haven't seen it yet....but that is the spec I was told...Will get details tomorrow on model and mi and get to the bottom of it. I suspect plumber has got wrong end of stick, all I know so far is that it is an older model that is being relocated.

davesparks

Forum Mentor
Out of interest what Worcester? I haven’t touched one for a little while now, but I’ve never come across a Worcester with a volt free connection.
I’m doing 2/3 Worcester’s a week at the moment and none of the current models need a volt free roomstat, they are all 240V for standard controls.

I wonder if the water clown is getting this confused with using the Ls terminal to supply external controls.

Bellendian

Regular EF Member
Ha! Bonding will be the next issue...gas being run external to new location, no bonding at present, my plan to bond at new entry point so same chasing region as flex...let's see if he wants it at the meter at the other side of the house!

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
Ha! Bonding will be the next issue...gas being run external to new location, no bonding at present, my plan to bond at new entry point so same chasing region as flex...let's see if he wants it at the meter at the other side of the house!
And I thought I was joking when I posted.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.