Discuss 5 kitchen sockets from 1 FSU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andy33gmail

I recently asked my electrician to add 4 new sockets to my kitchen, following a re-arrangement of my kitchen appliances. These supply a kettle, toaster, microwave, George foreman and a fridge. The issue he had was there was no ring main in a convenient place, only a spur to a single socket which supplied the fridge.

He dealt with this by replacing the single socket with a 13A FSU and attaching all the sockets from this. I've discussed this with him and he's convinced this is safe because the 13A fuse will blow before the cable is overloaded, and also allow enough current to use all the appliances above.

Am I right to be worried?

Andy

well he is right TBH, however I wouldn't do it myself I would charge you for installing a ring main, but I suspect you didn't want to pay the cost hence his last resort effort and the spur will do the job, I hope there is RCD protection though.

I recently asked my electrician to add 4 new sockets to my kitchen, following a re-arrangement of my kitchen appliances. These supply a kettle, toaster, microwave, George foreman and a fridge. The issue he had was there was no ring main in a convenient place, only a spur to a single socket which supplied the fridge.

He dealt with this by replacing the single socket with a 13A FSU and attaching all the sockets from this. I've discussed this with him and he's convinced this is safe because the 13A fuse will blow before the cable is overloaded, and also allow enough current to use all the appliances above.

Andy

You don't need to be worried BUT you will need a large stock of 13A fuses.

Not an ideal installation, especially in a kitchen.

Andy

WTF have you got against poor old George Foreman that you electrocuted him in your kitchen :D

Seriously, what the other have said, not wrong in the strictest sense of things, at least he put it on a FSU, had he not done that then yes you would have reason for concern. However as has been said, make sure you have a decent supply of 13A fuses and easy access to the FSU....

It should be a ring, but then you would have to pay for this...he's trying to earn a living and not work for Oxfam!

I rang him after and asked if a ring main would be more appropriate, he was convinced it was unneccessary. He also seems to think a 13Amp fuse will let througy enough more than 13Amps to use everything, but little enough not to burn out the cable... which actually, is probably true...

Installation is about 3 months old, this was an afterthought on my part. RCD protection to appropriate regs

I rang him after and asked if a ring main would be more appropriate, he was convinced it was unneccessary. He also seems to think a 13Amp fuse will let througy enough more than 13Amps to use everything, but little enough not to burn out the cable... which actually, is probably true...

Installation is about 3 months old, this was an afterthought on my part. RCD protection to appropriate regs

Absolute bxllocks.

Also, I'm a little uncomfortable, given the number of radio ads about overloading four way bars are fires. Not least since the install is the reinstatement after a fire

Also, apparently a 13A fuse will only blow at 20A... IET Forums - 13A Plug Top Fuses

- - - Updated - - -

Not a wind up, I promise.

Fire was not electrical

Also, apparently a 13A fuse will only blow at 20A... IET Forums - 13A Plug Top Fuses

- - - Updated - - -

Not a wind up, I promise.

Fire was not electrical

..... aaaaaand what size cable and install method is from the ring to the fused connection point and then on to each socket outlet? What is the rating of that core size? Will the 13a blow before it damages the cable?

If the circuit is RCD protected and adequately overload protected as per cable size and installation method then it would be a legal installation. If the circuit is overloaded and the fuse blows, although it may be an inconvenience and the result of poor design this isn't actually a fault or hazardous in itself. If the circuit's been installed for three months and hasn't blown a fuse then there's a good chance it won't be a problem.

It's a spur from a 32A ring ... So I assume 2.5mm cable? I did take a look, and it's the same type of cable both sides of the FSU

I'm asking the question because I'm far from an expert, and to justify my position f I ask him to change it!

The circuit in itself although not ideal is compliant. If you have concerns why not have a chat with the installer.

I guess only time will tell then. I suspect you won't have grounds to force him to reinstall it at his expense unless it's an annoyance due to fuses blowing.

*Edit* As Sintra suggests maybe have a civil conversation with him and express your concerns that although it's compliant to regs it might be overloaded.

OK, well what I was trying to get at was well put by Marvo. Your electrician knows that the 2.5 twin and earth (if installed clipped or buried in plaster for example) will be good for 27a (it will take less than this if installed in some other methods). He could not leave it protected by the circuit breaker at 32a that the ring main is on because you could potentially draw more than 27a on those five socket outlets - therefore he put in a 13a before the 5 sockets so that the spured cable is protected from overload. Personally I cannot see how you could justify him to change it for safety reasons. He may already have tested what your appliances are actually drawing.
I hope that makes sense.

Reply to 5 kitchen sockets from 1 FSU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net