Discuss 50 year old installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bawall

Was asked to carry out a EICR and found this! One saving grace is the storage heating on a separate phase has been disconnected. My personal favourite is the fuse carrier with a live tail from the meter exposed just where you would put your thumb to remove the carrier to replace the fuse wire! and still the customer questioned why I said the condition of installation was unsatisfactory!!
:2014-03-21 14.20.00.jpg2014-03-21 14.20.09.jpg2014-03-21 14.20.14.jpg2014-03-21 14.20.17.jpg2014-03-21 14.20.26.jpg2014-03-21 14.20.32.jpg2014-03-21 14.51.03.jpg2014-03-21 15.34.15.jpg
and in the flat upstairs: 2014-03-21 13.10.52.jpg

Yay ! Fused neutrals for the win !!! lolz

thats a C1 right there !

and i like the 400v warning graffitti by banksey :)

and some of that is older than 50yrs i'd bet ;-)

Yes there was more than a couple C1's on the sheet lol I made the Wylex board "safer" with a blank I had from a CU change I done the other day. Got better as each room only had one socket some changed to double's all with multiple socket extensions.

Its a Fuse both carriers are identical and marked 15A 26SWG MAX and both have a fuse wire in not to mention the splayed switching connector and bent switch link.

Its a Fuse both carriers are identical and marked 15A 26SWG MAX and both have a fuse wire in not to mention the splayed switching connector and bent switch link and the unshielded exposed live terminals and the unprotected cable entering the top and lack of ip4x on top surface........

fixed that for ya :)

Looks like an installation that the owner has resisted advice to upgrade over the years, as it works ok.
It won't be the 1st time a sparks condemns it.

so i have to ask:

any recent work done..?

He brought the property mid 60's and the only thing i could see that had changed was the light switches and sockets. was a little disappointed not to find a 3 piece mk double mounted on a wooden or Bakelite board lol

and if so any paperwork (previous EICs)?

There are some hand written stickers on the switch gear what other paperwork do you need?

and if so any comments on the existing installation?...lol...
Comment from the customer "it works ok why do I need to change it?"

He brought the property mid 60's and
the only thing i could see that had changed was the light switches and sockets
. was a little disappointed not to find a 3 piece mk double mounted on a wooden or Bakelite board lol

There are some hand written stickers on the switch gear what other paperwork do you need?
Comment from the customer "it works ok why do I need to change it
?"

put in the price for remedials....if he dont like it then walk off ...simple as....

So, what was the final outcome of this EICR??

Surely a lot of that older cast iron stuff and some of the more recent sheet steel stuff, isn't supplying anything, and has been just left in place? Either that or this house or whatever, is a hell of a size!! lol!! Looks like they were making full use of the knockouts in those cast sw/fuses, phase through one and the neutral through the other. ...lol!! I take it, this is a 2 phase + neutral and not a 3 phase supply?

So, where abouts in Thurrock is this property located?? I used to know of a lot of 2 phase + N supplies in North Ockendon and Stifford areas, but i'm pretty sure they were all converted to standard single phase PME systems...

So, what was the final outcome of this EICR??

Surely a lot of that older cast iron stuff and some of the more recent sheet steel stuff, isn't supplying anything, and has been just left in place? Either that or this house or whatever, is a hell of a size!! lol!! Looks like they were making full use of the knockouts in those cast sw/fuses, phase through one and the neutral through the other. ...lol!! I take it, this is a 2 phase + neutral and not a 3 phase supply?

So, where abouts in Thurrock is this property located?? I used to know of a lot of 2 phase + N supplies in North Ockendon and Stifford areas, but i'm pretty sure they were all converted to standard single phase PME systems...
well if this is the case then they fail on that as well dont they....wonder if the OP picked that up in his report?

The property is in Chiswick converted in to two flats in the 60s all the switchgear is in use except for the old heating boards not fully in shot at the bottom. It was two phase and neutral but now single though the second phase is in a block and still live.
other than the switchgear, installation methods of switchgear and one old light fitting where heat had destroyed the insulation the circuits tested ok.
tested most from ends so I didn't disturb the switchgear too much just cliped on links and tested the ring from a central point
have listed multiple C1s advised remove all old switchgear fit new CU upgrade earthing advised customer to contact dno to have supply blocks changed as damaged and a isolator fitted and the second redundant phase removed or isolated rewire light circui in cupboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, the sooner all that superfluous crud is out of the way and replaced by a single CU for each apartment/flat the better!!

Chiswick you certainly work well outside of location area then, lol!!

Where in Thurrock are you Based??

Reply to 50 year old installation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net