Discuss 50 year old radial sockets at floor level in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

One problem you might find using old conduit is if it's in imperial sizes in which case you might struggle to find parts.
You might be able to chase up a foot or so and cengar off the tube, but good luck getting a stock in there to thread it, or even finding the right die if it's imperial.

I thought about the upside down socket route but you know what people are like.They'll take one look and say:what a f..ing idiot, he's put it upside down!The guy who said the min height of sockets only applies to new build, is that correct?surely the 17th Ed. has to be followed when ur changing anything.

I thought about the upside down socket route but you know what people are like.They'll take one look and say:what a f..ing idiot, he's put it upside down!The guy who said the min height of sockets only applies to new build, is that correct?surely the 17th Ed. has to be followed when ur changing anything.

Yes.we follow the regs,but in this example, the answers you were given likely refer to the "Building" regs

The minimum height of sockets/switches is a recommendation in Part M of the building Regulations covering use of buildings, it is not part of the wiring regulations. Part M states that the minimum height is not applicable to extensions or change of use of dwellings.
If you can raise the sockets within the space of the skirting board and fill/ board beneath them this may be a good thing but you do not need to go to 450mm.

too slow!

Doing a re-wire for a customer who doesn't want surface mini trunking, can't channel walls and wants me to use 50 year old conduit to re-wire.It was originally wired as a radial circuit and don't think I'd get 2x2.5 mm T & E's down the conduit.Assuming the kitchen can be done seperately, could I re-wire the rest of the sockets as a radial and put it on a 20 breaker? Another problem is existing sockets cut into skirting at floor level.Is it compusory to raise these to above 450mm or can I just mark it as a deviation?

No, but surely you'd remember that from your training!!! :wink5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does this customer want a rewire anyway ??
Surely the whole point is to bring the installation upto current standards ??
re-using old imperial gauge conduit and sockets in skirting hardly achieves this.
The customer needs a reality check if you ask me.

Still got mine somewhere, and you can get metric / imperial adapters.

Yeah , but would you really bother with all that faff for a domestic install just because the customer wont accept that chasing need to be done ? not bloody likely lol.

Doing a re-wire for a customer who doesn't want surface mini trunking, can't channel walls and wants me to use 50 year old conduit to re-wire.It was originally wired as a radial circuit and don't think I'd get 2x2.5 mm T & E's down the conduit.Assuming the kitchen can be done seperately, could I re-wire the rest of the sockets as a radial and put it on a 20 breaker? Another problem is existing sockets cut into skirting at floor level.Is it compusory to raise these to above 450mm or can I just mark it as a deviation?

Do you have a copy of the Regs? If so what do they say? Are you Part P compliant - I guess you are as you advertise as an NICEIC Domestic Installer and an Approved contractor - so do the Building Regs apply in this situation?

I dont see the point of some half-ased rewire that wont allow wall chases , ring mains , and reuses old socket positions in skirting ???
Its either done to current standards or walk , to be quite blunt.

can't chase the walls cos it's a listed building, minitrunking very difficult cos doors everywhere and conduit too tight for 2 T & E's .maybe could pull 6 2.5's but doubtful

The minimum height of sockets/switches is a recommendation in Part M of the building Regulations covering use of buildings, it is not part of the wiring regulations. Part M states that the minimum height is not applicable to extensions or change of use of dwellings.
If you can raise the sockets within the space of the skirting board and fill/ board beneath them this may be a good thing but you do not need to go to 450mm.

Thanks for clarifying that.I've just found it in the OSG that it doesn't apply to re-wires.that should be in BOLD TYPE-it matters!

Do you have a copy of the Regs? If so what do they say? Are you Part P compliant - I guess you are as you advertise as an NICEIC Domestic Installer and an Approved contractor - so do the Building Regs apply in this situation?
That's not me, bud.that website is someone else.yes i do have regs but to save me trawling through them, I thought, I know, I'll ask those pleasant chaps on electriansforum to save some time

I'd be tempted to try drilling a big hole (20mm masonary bit) down behind the skirting for cable run and mount sockets just above the skirting.....works well for upstairs circuits but only possible downstairs if there's wooden and not concrete flooring.

So how do they manage on Grand Designs? Lots of listed buildings on there with chased wiring

A special clause in the 17th appendix - relating to the Kevin McCloud or Connor McCloud of the McCloud clan and the quickening, and they're family being exempt from normal reasoning.

Or presentation skills

Allow me to rephrase it then. There are many hundreds, probably thousands, of listed buildings up and down the country, I've had the privilege of working in a few. I have never heard of a rule which prohibits chasing walls, could you point me in the direction of it please

Reply to 50 year old radial sockets at floor level in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock