Discuss 500w Dimmer unit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im looking for an dimmer switch to operate 24 x 15w led bayonet lamps (360w); I can find grid switches but want to find something all in a single unit. Can anyone recommend a product ?

Thanks

Just to update, this is new territory for me and maybe not as simple as my OP, and really just taking a look to see what the options are.

What options is there to control x 24 (10-15w) led's ??

The original unit thats been there for years was an MK Master Unit Ln 1590, a 3KW dimmer, without any slave units. This unit died a death and the owner of the church its in wants to change all the old 100w incandescents to led's. I said I look into it but likely be more involved than just changing out the old dimmer unit (which they no longer make btw).

The proposed led lamps would need too be retrofit bayonets as he dont want to change the light fittings themselves.

Lots of company's make 500w dimmers, just check with the lamp manufacturers to see which ones they recommend. Dimming LED lamps can prove problematic, they tend to flicker.

I see you have looked at mode, I have fitted lots of mirage and tiger panels. Is this for a commercial project?

I see you have looked at mode, I have fitted lots of mirage and tiger panels. Is this for a commercial project?

Sort of im looking into it trying to get some knowledge about dimming leds. Am i right in applying a thumbs rule to obtain the dimmers rating, of 10 times the wattage of each lamp (to account for start up ?).

So if I need a dimmer for 24 x 10w leds (all on a single switch/dimmer), the dimmer would need to be rated at 2.4 KW ??

It all depends on the lamp to be honest. Using a tiger panel, which is similar to mirage Ive dimmed 50 GU10 LED's on 1 channel. Flickering can still be an issue even with that though. Mode produce the dimmers in leading or trailing edge and you have to specify what you require.

Lutron is another good option, I think its better than Mode, but mode can dim bigger loads. Ive not dimmed high loads with Lutron it but it will successfully dim say 2 5w GU10 on a dimming channel with no issue - I have this in my house using grafik eyes and a home works system so I know it works. Using a grafik eye's Im pretty sure you can have 500w on the 1st channel so it will 'might' work. That being said, using the Lutron Rania dimmer switches I ended up with flickering lamps on low loads so its not successful across the range of products.

You need to ask the manufacturer of the lamp, and ask the manufacturer of the dimmer, unfortunately thats how it is. When you look at the specs for the lamps find out what the mA rating is for them and see if this then takes it over the rating of the OPD for the circuit.

You say its sort of commercial, it either is or isn't really so what scenario is it for?

It all depends on the lamp to be honest. Using a tiger panel, which is similar to mirage Ive dimmed 50 GU10 LED's on 1 channel. Flickering can still be an issue even with that though. Mode produce the dimmers in leading or trailing edge and you have to specify what you require.

Lutron is another good option, I think its better than Mode, but mode can dim bigger loads. Ive not dimmed high loads with Lutron it but it will successfully dim say 2 5w GU10 on a dimming channel with no issue - I have this in my house using grafik eyes and a home works system so I know it works. Using a grafik eye's Im pretty sure you can have 500w on the 1st channel so it will 'might' work. That being said, using the Lutron Rania dimmer switches I ended up with flickering lamps on low loads so its not successful across the range of products.

You need to ask the manufacturer of the lamp, and ask the manufacturer of the dimmer, unfortunately thats how it is. When you look at the specs for the lamps find out what the mA rating is for them and see if this then takes it over the rating of the OPD for the circuit.

You say its sort of commercial, it either is or isn't really so what scenario is it for?

Thanks for reply, looked at the GraphicEye aswell but cosmetically it looks a bit too "cool" and is a bit overkill with all the add on stuff ect ect ect ect. Think the Mirage will be okay

Thanks for reply, looked at the GraphicEye aswell but cosmetically it looks a bit too "cool" and is a bit overkill with all the add on stuff ect ect ect ect. Think the Mirage will be okay

You can always put the grafik eye in a cupboard and use a keypad / wall station to control it.

The OP is looking at 360w of LED so I'm thinking you idea might not work for very long!

3rd comment.......What options is there to control x 24 (10-15w) led's ??

24 x 10 = 240, so the Zano is an option?!

He could go crazy and even add another lamp lol

They do a two gang version so you can fit 500W of LED dimming on the plate although obviously not the ideal solution as you would have 2 circuits.

They do a two gang version so you can fit 500W of LED dimming on the plate although obviously not the ideal solution as you would have 2 circuits.

BUT this is for an existing set up so there maybe only 1 switch cable at the switch!

could do with more info TBH

And there was I thinking that each led lamp ratins need to be timsed by 10 the account for start up. So 24 led lamps rated at 10 w each would need a dimmer with a rating of 2.4 Kw; so i looks like your 500w dimmer wont cut it ! All 24 lamps are on one switch !

Zano Zbar LED controller have a look at that. Then use a rotary analogue switch with it. Costs about £125 ish. Talking to Zano they use 1.8 x load to calculate inrush which is about what fluors were/are. However each manufacturer has differing inrush currents and you would have to look at their site or tech dept. for proper info regards inrush.

Zano Zbar LED controller have a look at that. Then use a rotary analogue switch with it. Costs about £125 ish. Talking to Zano they use 1.8 x load to calculate inrush which is about what fluors were/are. However each manufacturer has differing inrush currents and you would have to look at their site or tech dept. for proper info regards inrush.

Thanks I will have a look;

Reply to 500w Dimmer unit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock