Discuss 5357 Apprenticeship Diary Questions in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

t0mskr

Hi all,
I am an 18 year old apprentice from London studying the new 5357 Electrotechnial apprenticeship. So far it is going really well in college and at work however one thing is stumping me a little and that is the diary I am supposed to be keeping. My tutor refers to it as the 'CPD Diary', however it is also referred to as off the job training. Looking online I have found next to nothing about it (maybe because the 5357 is still quite new), but I believe it is supposed to make up 20% of my course as proof I have been training and looking into things in my own time. Now it may sound as if I am answering my own question, however it would be a great help if somebody with more knowledge could clarify what I am supposed to be writing; I still have a good couple of years left on my apprenticeship and I'm already struggling to think of entries. Do C&G really expect me to be looking into and reading up about electrical stuff outside of full time hours and college/studying for 20% of the 3-4 years? My tutor has made it clear that we cannot write about day to day things we have learnt at work or college. Any help or clarification would be much appreciated :)

Hi all,
I am an 18 year old apprentice from London studying the new 5357 Electrotechnial apprenticeship. So far it is going really well in college and at work however one thing is stumping me a little and that is the diary I am supposed to be keeping. My tutor refers to it as the 'CPD Diary', however it is also referred to as off the job training. Looking online I have found next to nothing about it (maybe because the 5357 is still quite new), but I believe it is supposed to make up 20% of my course as proof I have been training and looking into things in my own time. Now it may sound as if I am answering my own question, however it would be a great help if somebody with more knowledge could clarify what I am supposed to be writing; I still have a good couple of years left on my apprenticeship and I'm already struggling to think of entries. Do C&G really expect me to be looking into and reading up about electrical stuff outside of full time hours and college/studying for 20% of the 3-4 years? My tutor has made it clear that we cannot write about day to day things we have learnt at work or college. Any help or clarification would be much appreciated :)

Its the same for me with Dcet. It works out about 1.5hrs each week learning on the job.

Hi T0mskr

I run the electrical apprenticeship department for a college so i can answer this.
The 5357 requires a diary to be kept logging your 20% off the job learning, so people may refer to it as either a diary or 20% off the job (OTJ)
This needs to log all the training you complete while working as an apprentice. This can to be learning that you do in the workplace and in the college.
Some examples would include but not limited to:
College classes
Site inductions
Toolbox talks
Training courses you complete
Learning new skills in the workplace
shadowing in the workplace, say being shown how to use a new cable type.

The diary can only be logged if the learning took place within your normal working hours, so reading about a new skill in the evening does not count. Your employer should be giving you 20% of your hours a week to do this. College day would count todays some of this depending on how many hours a week you attend college.
Before you can take your AM2 at the end of your course your 20% diary will be checked and if you dont have logged enough hours then will be unable to sit the the AM2.

Let me know if you need to know anything else

Chris

Hi T0mskr

I run the electrical apprenticeship department for a college so i can answer this.
The 5357 requires a diary to be kept logging your 20% off the job learning, so people may refer to it as either a diary or 20% off the job (OTJ)
This needs to log all the training you complete while working as an apprentice. This can to be learning that you do in the workplace and in the college.
College classes
Site inductions
Toolbox talks

The diary can only be logged if the learning took place within your normal working hours, so reading about a new skill in the evening does not count. Your employer should be giving you 20% of your hours a week to do this. College day would count todays some of this depending on how many hours a week you attend college.
Before you can take your AM2 at the end of your course your 20% diary will be checked and if you dont have logged enough hours then will be unable to sit the the AM2.

Chris
Cheers mate, thanks for your help!

Yes the log needs to have a time in minutes against each entry so this can be added together to show how many hours have been done in total.
Ok great, looks like I'll be starting it again haha.
Thanks so much for your help.

Hi T0mskr

College classes
Site inductions
Toolbox talks

Chris
Should you not be a mentor rather than the yellow trainee badge?

Reply to 5357 Apprenticeship Diary Questions in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock