Discuss 559.5.1 18th Ed. p219 Luminaire fixed connections in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi

559.5.1. My question is that for any luminare in the UK must be complaint to one of the methods (BS standards) listed in the list, or else we would not be compliment fitting and connecting to? Is that correct?

So if the fitting is not supplied with any details in relation to the points listed on p219, technically we cannot fit it unless we of course put something inside of it that does comply?

Thanks
John

559.5.1 Connection to the fixed wiring
At each fixed lighting point one of the following shall be used for the termination of the wiring system:
(i) A ceiling rose complying with BS 67
(ii) A luminaire supporting coupler (LSC) complying with BS 6972 or BS 7001
(iii) A batten lampholder or a pendant set complying with BS EN 60598
(iv) A luminaire complying with BS EN 60598
(v) A suitable socket-outlet complying with BS 1363-2, BS 546 or BS EN 60309-2
(vi) A plug-in lighting distribution unit complying with BS 5733
(vii) A connection unit complying with BS 1363-4
(viii) Appropriate terminals enclosed in a box complying with the relevant part of BS EN 60670 series or BS 4662
(ix) A device for connecting a luminaire (DCL) outlet complying with BS IEC 61995-1
(x) An installation coupler complying with BS EN 61535.
NOTE: In suspended ceilings one plug-in lighting distribution unit may be used for a number of luminaires.

Seems like just about everything is covered.

Okay, so reading further in the same section i see 559.5.4 covers fittings that do not carry connections / approvals :). My question answered.

Reply to 559.5.1 18th Ed. p219 Luminaire fixed connections in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock