Discuss 5A wall mounting sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rfears

-
Reaction score
I look after a venerable lighting installation consisting of a large number of 5A circuits from a patch panel to various positions on the walls.

There is a need to add another position (10 circuits). I'm finding it very difficult to lay my hands on 5A sockets (apart from the Hager one which I suspect will be ridiculously expensive).

Any ideas?

P.S. the installation is not to BS7671...

If you need some nicer looking ones GET ultimate/ wilts plus/ etc. do them. Most wholesalers and tlc sell them, obviously a bit pricer than above but never had trouble with the range

Thanks plugsandsparks, I suspect what I am really looking for will only be found in museums and flea traders. I'll try to get a photo in the next few days The B&Q website is offeriing the MK socket on a standard single-patt fitting form at a mere £7.98 each (so my job for a local am.dram. has already gone overbudget)

Hey ho, off to the market we go!

A certain company that sells screws and fixings have the std form socket for £2.53. I actually made a mistake (memory not what it was) i actually got the plugs from my local Eyre and Elliston for less than £1 each. It was Click Scolmore PA166 (5A plug), Click dont appear to do the socket though

Found them http://www.scolmore.com/documents/mode.pdf

CMA038 is the product code, should think they will be less than screwfix if sourced from Eyre and Elliston

Last edited:
Thanks again plugsandsparks, I'm actually quite embarrased
a) not to have found the currently available items (those you and others have mentioned), and
b) not to have phrased my original question properly, inthat I was looking for something in the original 50/60''s form factor - horrible not quite Bakelite cause it was white, but very small, the sort of thing you find screwed onto a block of wood in pubs, etc.

My only reason for b) above is that I would like to preserve the look (and have some spares) of what we currently have - might make a museum one day.

Ideally I would scrap everything we have and rewire to moderm theatrical standards - were the round pin 15A rules OK...

Here are some pics
P4191271.jpgP4191266.jpgP4191267.jpgP4191265.jpgP4191264.jpgP4191272.jpgP4191274.jpgP4191263.jpg

I can't work out how to annotate the pics, so, in order, we have
1. the sort of panel I'm trying to recreate
2. the dimmer bank and its patch panel (note the gaffer tape over the dimmers that are broke and I can't get spares for...)
3. another view of the dimmer bank (16x10A, 4x20A, bespoke build for the BBC in the '60s early 70's, recovered by us from an am.dram. in Wales)
4. close up of the dimmer side patch panel
5. hall side patch panel
6. ends of a lighting loom
7. some of the fixtures (note Strand Patt.123 half a century old with modern Source 4 Juniors)
8. the 20th century stuff

Reply to 5A wall mounting sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net