Discuss 60 V on switched active in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

darkle

Hi all

I recently swaped a extractor fan over in a small office toilet. When finished I turned the toilet light on, only to find that the fan is not switched with the light. When I tested the 3 core cable supply (not including the earth) I found that there was 230v on hard active and 60 V on the switched active and 100 v between them. Any ideas why this would be ?

Thanks

Have you connected it correctly ..........................I think you have reversed the connections make sure you have them connected in the right place.

Hard Active........... .LINE?? .................L1 check what colour it will be Red in old. Brown in new

Switched active.......S LINE??...............marked most likel S/L...... Yellow old colours and Balck in new

NEUTRAL.............................................marked N ........ Blue in old colours and Grey in new.

With this terminolgy are you in the UK ?

Hi I am a Sparky for Australia but am working in Scotland at the moment.

Yes its all wired up correctly. Hard active is the line and switched active the S/L. The bathroom in question used to have two extractor fans in it, I took down both the old and installed one new. The supply where the new fan is, I discovered is not swiched, but this is nor the point.

Why would there be 60 v on the S/L, when there should be no voltage on the switch line unless it has been switch, then it would read 230. Also why would there be 100 v between the Line and the S/L, if the switch line had been switched it should read 230v between active and switched active.

Thanks

There should be no potential voltage from the Switch Line to the Line, how can you get a reading from 2 lines on the same phase....... what your geting in phantom voltage through the system picked up on a digital meter, you would not get this on an analogue meter.

All you need to do is connect up the Line and Neutral then and block of the Switch Line for the new fan. This new fan is obviously not on an over run timer.

Reply to 60 V on switched active in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net