Discuss 60A Main fuse & NIC assesment? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

CRAIGNEWHAM

I was in my brothers house yesterday as I am possibly going to do a job there for one of my NIC assesments, and he has a 100A main switch, but the main fuse is only 60A (in a 100A holder). Ill check the size of the meter tails next week, but if they are suffecient, should we ask for the fuse to be upgraded?
Will the NIC man pull me up over it because of discrimination?
Cheers

dont worry about that!

100A stickers are everywhere..!
main switch is rated above 60 a so thats fine!

ensure you use 25mm tails regardless and dont worry to much about DNO equiptment unless its falling part!

I think this might be another case of people confusing the rating of a main switch (or other accessory for that matter) with the breaking capacity of fused devices.
There's no discrimination, the main switch isn't fused :)

This is one of my big gripes they are very rarly marked up with the correct lables ,we have to mark every thing ,law unto them selves , dont forget its illegal to cut the meter seals , i know we do , as telex says if the tails are 16mm then there is no problem

Bs7671:2008 stipulates 25mm tails required on new works!! as this is his assessment i would strongly suggest he fits 25mm

sorry if i sound like a jobsworth telectrix
it's not new works though. if he was replacing the CU, then maybe. and, Steve, you may call me Tel., saves typing it all out.

Last edited:
i can foretell the future, mate. 100% accurate. for example., in 3 minutes time, i'm going to open a beer.

it's not new works though. if he was replacing the CU, then maybe[/b]. and, Steve, you may call me Tel., saves typing it all out.

I'm doing a cu change next week in a flat & the amount of work involved in upgrading the 16mm to 25mm is ridiculous so I'm leaving them and the 60a fuse as is.
My scheme provider have no problems with this either, I checked first ;)

60 amp main fuse is it a 2 bedroomed house? also it is illegal to cut the meter seals this is true in the eyes of the electricity suppliers which is their regulations, nothing in our regulations states that it is illegal and also how many of us electricians have to cut the seals to do our job daily and can anybody show evidence that an electrically qualified competant person has actually been done for it, no!

nothing in our regulations states that it is illegal

the fact there is a big sticker on the fuse with NEEB / NEDL (or what ever area your in)property and tampering with this equiptment may result in prosecution or words to that effect

seen a fuse with warning printed in German it said " Gerfingerpokin Verboten"

amazing how these seals seem to drop off conveniently just before we staret a job.

Reply to 60A Main fuse & NIC assesment? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net