Discuss 6kA (Not 10kA) RCBOs in commercial TP boards: Why not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
I'm fitting two replacement sub-mains panels as part of a long-term upgrade from split-phase to three phase on a part-domestic part-commercial site (my own gaff). I'm using all RCBOs because I like them, but am less keen on the cost of the commercial variants ...
Fellow spark says one MUST use 10kA breakers in a TP board because it's commercial kit. I say rubbish, so long as 6kA-rated devices physically fit and the fly leads are long enough (Hager's are) and as the Potential Fault Currents are nowhere near 6kA anyway (at the end of long SWA runs), 6kA units are technically fine.
Am I missing anything?

What was your PFC? Dobt forget to double your single phase value for a three phase installation if measured each phase to earth.

6kA will be fine if the manufacturer do that. Schneiders KQ boards for exanple also fit the SQ breakers in and allow it.

Hi - I'm not aware of a restriction "must be 10kA for 3 phase switchgear", but there certainly are other factors to consider as have already been mentioned.

Interestingly, there is the 60947-2 standard where the rating is higher for pollution, voltage withstand etc. The 60947 devices are intended for industrial use, while 60898 /61009 are more suited to cleaner domestic / office situations. There are some devices where manufacturer has certified them to both standards, as mentioned in this article.
IEC 60898-1 AND IEC 60947-2: a tale of two standards - https://blog.schneider-electric.com/energy-regulations/2014/02/06/iec-60898-1-iec-60947-2-tale-two-standards/

For some brands the 6KA stuff wont fit the 3PH boards as the busbar terminal is too narrow for the busbar.

Do the boards comply with BS EN 61439-3?

Yes, of course :) Hager Invicta 3
Technical Properties JK118BG - https://www.hager.co.uk/product-catalogue/energy-distribution/commercial-distribution/invicta-3-type-b-distribution-boards/125a-invicta-3-type-b-distribution-boards/jk118bg/67228.htm

Does the manufacturer list the 6kA devices as an option?
Good question. I just checked the spec sheet, and it appears not. They quote only the expensive 10kA variants. But this could be a 'so what?' situation.

IIRC Hager are ones that don't fit, the flyleads are too short as well. Their new compact RCBOs the flyleads are almost too short for the single phase boards...

What was your PFC? ...
Less than 1.5kA phase to earth on the first run. Waiting for the second supply cable (25m of 5 core 16mm NYY) to be fitted on the second.
The whole lot is behind 3No. 100A cutouts anyway. It's effectively a domestic supply.

IIRC Hager are ones that don't fit, the flyleads are too short as well. Their new compact RCBOs the flyleads are almost too short for the single phase boards...
I haven't tried the new compact RCBOs yet. They look useful in giving more space in a board full of the things. I may well go for these, but they are only available in 6kA I believe.
And I'd rather extend a few neutral leads than spend hundreds of pounds extra on unnecessary 10kA RCBOs. Unless there's an undiscovered technical reason why I must, which is why I'm consulting the Oracle here :)

ps. I'm a great believer in 'commonality of parts' in designs. This is my own house: I want to carry on using Hager everywhere,
then it's easier to keep a few spares of everything.

I am sure you will be ok with the 6kA rated RCBOs. If they are suitable for the fault current then i personally see no issues.

Go in shops, hotels, schools and you will find tonnes of non 10kA MCBs in the three phase boards. I have seen lots of M3 breakers in three phase boards.

I haven't tried the new compact RCBOs yet. They look useful in giving more space in a board full of the things. I may well go for these, but they are only available in 6kA I believe.
And I'd rather extend a few neutral leads than spend hundreds of pounds extra on unnecessary 10kA RCBOs. Unless there's an undiscovered technical reason why I must, which is why I'm consulting the Oracle here :)

Hager is the oracle here. Ask whether their type testing includes their 6kA devices in their TPN boards.

I'm completely with your reasoning though, I have never seen a TPN fault current over 6kA personally.

part-domestic part-commercial site
So regardless, the board should be Amendment 3 compliant! which fortunately Hager do.
If as mentioned previously, the (Ph - Ph)psc at the board is less than 6kA then why not. You'll be signing off your own work so the buck stops with yourself!

part-domestic part-commercial site
So regardless, the board should be Amendment 3 compliant! which fortunately Hager do.
If as mentioned previously, the (Ph - Ph)psc at the board is less than 6kA then why not. You'll be signing off your own work so the buck stops with yourself!

Reply to 6kA (Not 10kA) RCBOs in commercial TP boards: Why not? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock