Discuss 6kw sauna sharing cooker supply is it even a possibility?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

my computer say no, regulation 433.1.204 (iii) any power exceeding 2 kw on the own dedicated radail circuit ,does not include a 6 kw sauna .
I do not have the regulation to hand but your interpretation means plugging a 3kw heater into a socket on a ring would be a breach of regulations.
A simple compliant and cheap solution to the OP's question has already been suggested, a 32a 2 pole changeover switch.
Why do some people get their knickers in a twist when something a bit out of the ordinary is suggested?

Last edited by a moderator:
433.1.204 is talking about ring circuits and there is no "(iii)" as such, but in Appendix 15 where it goes in to more detail it basically says not to hang big fixed loads such as cookers off a ring, and that is where the (iii) note it to be found.

6kw sauna sharing cooker supply is it even a possibility?? IMG_20200410_174835 - EletriciansForums.net what is saying wiether a ring or a radial it's is a judgment call on the spark to install the correct loading for a item. I can understand if you got a hob and a oven on the circuit then diversity would be applied not a sauna.
each spark that do not apply the regs is a bad one, but not all.

I don't see anything electrically wrong with a changeover switch for cooker or sauna, but operationally it seems a bizarre thing to do. In many houses I can think of where the oven refuses to work until the clock is set following power-off I can see all sorts of trouble brewing.

So far no word on why a new circuit is not practical though?

I don't see anything electrically wrong with a changeover switch for cooker or sauna, but operationally it seems a bizarre thing to do. In many houses I can think of where the oven refuses to work until the clock is set following power-off I can see all sorts of trouble brewing.

So far no word on why a new circuit is not practical though?
I don't see why it isn't so long as the max load and diversity calcs are redone and any appropriate upgrade requirement they reveal are implemented as a result.

page 505 BBB.
This is design options for general purpose socket circuits, not really applicable in this case.
[automerge]1586581107[/automerge]
(i) The rated current or current setting of the protective device (In) is not less than the design current (Ib) of the circuit

Unlikely you'll make this circuit comply with this reg

Last edited:
Right this maybe a completely stupid idea....but, guy wants a 6kw pre built sauna in back garden. The fuseboard million miles to back of house so wiring new circuit would be a nightmare. But he does have a cooker supply right near back door of garden. I know it's deemed good practice to have cooker and sauna on own dedicated circuits but if come from cooker switch with adequate sized cable out to rotary switch for sauna and they was never used at same time could this not be a possibility? I have also heard mentioned before that in scenario like this a change over switch might be able to be used? And this would prevent both being used at same time. Could someone explain to me how this would work and how it would be installed. Thanks

So the customer spends probably thousands on a hot tub and then wants to skimp on a few hundred quid to get power out to it, LOL!

So the customer spends probably thousands on a hot tub and then wants to skimp on a few hundred quid to get power out to it,
more like the op thinking I will try a cheat a bit by don't put a new circuit in. By asking us is it acceptable.
Knowing that tha facked it should be done correct. My ten pounds worth.

Unreal some of the ideas people have.
Don't turn both on at once ? What sort of cowboy lunacy is that ?

The OP has not given any reason it can't be run back to the CU. First stated it's a million miles away then only 10m.

Is this a wind up thread ?

What the OP proposes is possible but totally impractical because sooner or later the client will want both appliances energised at once. I suspect he isn't overly experienced and the thought of installing a new supply over a million miles or ten metres is daunting. If he does it this way in a few years he will look back and think why on earth did I do that.
He hasn't been on since he posted so may be we will never know.

£75.93 no vat payable. Bargain
Do you know if there is much difference between the 18th and the 17th editions? Just found a used 17th edition on eBay for £8.00.

westward10 beat me to it!
Most of the 17th edition is carried on into the 18th, but for any new installation you would be judged solely on the 18th edition requirements.

What the OP proposes is possible but totally impractical because sooner or later the client will want both appliances energised at once. I suspect he isn't overly experienced and the thought of installing a new supply over a million miles or ten metres is daunting. If he does it this way in a few years he will look back and think why on earth did I do that.
He hasn't been on since he posted so may be we will never know.
That situation is factored into the max load and diversity calcs so it shouldn't be a problem so long as the results of those calculations are adhered to and catered for. Both devices are thermostatically controlled so the principle is that the situation you describe is unlikely to persist for any great length of time. For the duration of that condition the installation should be able to take it.
[automerge]1586601726[/automerge]
The difference is the 17th Ed is no longer a current standard.
The 18th standard is the 17th standard plus mods and extras. It's not a complete rewrite. My question was in relation to the mods and extras.

The 18th standard is the 17th standard plus mods and extras. It's not a complete rewrite. My question was in relation to the mods and extras.
I don't know if there is the equivalent of the Amendments to shows changed 17th to 18th, but I suspect not as the IET would risk losing sales that way!

The 18th has that sort of thing covered in the foreword and shows change bars on the pages so folk familiar with earlier versions can see if things have been updated, which is the opposite of what you want!

westward10 beat me to it!
Most of the 17th edition is carried on into the 18th, but for any new installation you would be judged solely on the 18th edition requirements.
I was watching John Ward on his YouTube channel a while ago and I think he suggested that you can find the differences summarised somewhere on the internet. Are you aware of this? He was talking about the differences between the 17th and the previous edition.
I 'll see if I can find it.

Reply to 6kw sauna sharing cooker supply is it even a possibility?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock