Discuss 6mm to 2.5mm for sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a job that i've been asked to quote for and i'm struggling with how to do it the best way.

It's a summerhouse and the customer only wants a couple of double sockets and a light in it. My issue is that it's a fair distance from the house where the supply will be taken from. I've done the volt drop calcs and 6mm will be fine upto 20A max load. The existing consumer unit is full so I've got 2 options, spur from one of the socket mcb's (32A) to a fuse spur, then run to summerhouse giving 13A and enabling me to have both sockets without it being a spur off a spur (if I went straight from the MCB) or split supply at house to small RCD main switch DB at house end and use a 20A mcb to feed summerhouse. She mentioned using a kettle in the summerhouse so would like to give her more than 13A really. Ultimately I'm trying to keep costs down as best I can.

Also if I'm using 6mm to solve the volt drop issue can I take that to an adaptable box at the summerhouse then connect 2.5mm onto it to go to the sockets as the 6mm will be too big for the socket terminals.

Cheers Tom

can I take that to an adaptable box at the summerhouse then connect 2.5mm onto it to go to the sockets as the 6mm will be too big for the socket terminals.
Yes. But what about lighting? You'll need another switched FCU with 5A fuse in it for lights.

In the house,13A FCU will be fine, providing she doesnt have kettle plus heater!
take a look at the current required to actually BLOW a 13A fuse.

PS, I'm surprised that 6mm is necessary. How far are we talking about?

Yes. But what about lighting? You'll need another switched FCU with 5A fuse in it for lights.

In the house,13A FCU will be fine, providing she doesnt have kettle plus heater!
take a look at the current required to actually BLOW a 13A fuse.

PS, I'm surprised that 6mm is necessary. How far are we talking about?
Yes I was going to put a spur in for the lights in the summerhouse. It's about 60 metres. You never know what people will plug in so was trying to give as much power but keep costs down

Can you not get back to the consumer unit , split the tails in a henley and pop a new small board in to feed the outhouse submain

To be honest, my first choice would be neither!
or split supply at house to small RCD main switch DB at house end and use a 20A mcb to feed summerhouse
My thinking would be to split the supply at house with overcurrent protection but not RCD, and have small CU with RCD in the summerhouse . This assumes the house is not TT and the 6mm cable is mechanically protected or in ducting.

Then a future inevitable fault outside (e.g. light fitting filling with water) won't turn off half the house.
Your method still achieves that but is a longer walk to turn it back on again!

To be honest, my first choice would be neither!

My thinking would be to split the supply at house with overcurrent protection but not RCD, and have small CU with RCD in the summerhouse . This assumes the house is not TT and the 6mm cable is mechanically protected or in ducting.

Then a future inevitable fault outside (e.g. light fitting filling with water) won't turn off half the house.
Your method still achieves that but is a longer walk to turn it back on again!
Yeah I know what your saying. Did one like that recently. Just trying to keep costs down. There isn't any outside lights etc so hopefully not much that can fill with water at the summerhouse.

I would probably opt for a 20a rcbo at the house and just mcbs in the shed , just the way I would do it

If you are looking at absolute minimum cost then feed the SWA from a RCD protected supply so you can use 2-core cable, then minimum to meet 5% VD and 13A use is 4mm.

If you go for a non-RCD supply your end of cable Zs becomes a factor, though for small SWA the 2C armour R1 is less than the copper R1, but not once above 2.5mm. Here is a crude calculation and assuming TN-S 0.8 ohm Ze and not computing parallel armour + copper R2 in the 3C case:

mm^2 \ length (m)​
60​
V/A drop​
A for 5%​
A for 3%​
R1+R2 2-core​
R1+R2 3-core​
Zs for TN-S 2C​
Zs for TN-S 3C​
1.5​
31​
1.86​
6.2​
3.7​
22.3​
24.2​
2.1​
2.3​
2.5​
19​
1.14​
10.1​
6.1​
16.2​
14.8​
1.8​
1.7​
4​
12​
0.72​
16.0​
9.6​
12.5​
9.2​
1.6​
1.4​
6​
7.9​
0.474​
24.3​
14.6​
10.1​
6.2​
1.4​
1.2​
10​
4.7​
0.282​
40.8​
24.5​
7.8​
3.7​
1.3​
1.0​
So if going for a 13A fuse with max Zs 1.84 ohm and no RCD (very unlikely...) you would be OK for 2.5mm but only 10A max load.

At 4mm you could probably disconnect on OCPD for a 20A B-curve MCB (Zs 1.75 ohm) but if only an out-house I would split tails, put in a small CU with RCD and 20A breaker to feed the cable, and for the out house just have the sockets dropped to 2.5mm as you suggest and a 3A FCU taking off power for some LED lights.

If there is any chance of it being used for office (i.e. PC) or with a TV (wanting Netflix, etc) then I would suggest they put in some armoured CAT-5 or CAT-6 network cable at the same time as there is a trench for the power cable.

To keep costs down.... Terminate the 6mm SWA into a 45A (or maybe even 20A) metal-clad double pole switch at the shed end acting as a "main switch," from there to your double sockets and a 3A SFCU acting as a light switch.

Reply to 6mm to 2.5mm for sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock