Discuss 6mm2 for 8.5 kw shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scott g

can i fitt 8.5 kw shower using 6 mm2 cable 3m from mains board
only thing is its going through loft insulation more than 100mm
would it be ok to use trunking with insulation on top would this effect cable calculations

Hi Scott
Yes, you can use 6.0mm twin and earth cable for 8.5Kw shower. (8.5 multiply by 4.2 equals 35.7 current) 6.0mm cable will be just about enough for 11.5Kw shower if cable ends are crimped or welded for a better and stronger contact. (48.3Amps)
6.0mm cable in wall or trunking ~52 Amps!

can i fitt 8.5 kw shower using 6 mm2 cable 3m from mains board
only thing is its going through loft insulation more than 100mm
would it be ok to use trunking with insulation on top would this effect cable calculations

8500/230 =36.9

Table 6E1 in the onsite guide states that a 6mm in an insulated wall has the current carrying capacity of 32 amperes.

I would put in 7.2 shower. (or 10mm cable)

I’m using some old fashion maths! Coefficient for single phase (4.2) and for tree face (2.8) done enough showers with 6.0mm cable – no problems so far!

8500/230 =36.9

Table 6E1 in the onsite guide states that a 6mm in an insulated wall has the current carrying capacity of 32 amperes.

I would put in 7.2 shower. (or 10mm cable)

Hiya Guys!,
I must be missing something here!

I did the calculation 8500/230 = 37amps

cable current capacities table 6e1 on-site guide -
6mm2 in thermal insulation etc = 32amps
10mm2 in thermal insulation etc = 43amps

Isnt 6mm2 too small and require 10mm2? or does diversity come onto this?
According to diversity table,
1,water heaters (instantaneous) = 100% f.l.
2, water heaters (thermostatically controlled) = no diversity allowable.

What's missing??
Thanks

hi dan,
scott is asking for ways to install the cable so that he can use 6mm even though its borderline.
putting it in conduit would help with the thermal insulation problem but for the sake of a few extra quid he needs to do the job right and install 10mm.
you are quite right with your cable calcs but he is looking for the thumbs up to use what he has got which must be 6mm :confused:

• ze 0.17 60898 type b 32 6mm2 cable clipped direct with loft insulation on top
  • protected by 30 mamp rcd x1 69 ms
  • thank you for eny feed back
  • its an old lady 87 just had bathroom dones not wont damage to tilles
  • i know it would be ok but boss insists shoud be 10mm
  • im in two minds regs say 10mm common sence says leave it for what she is going to use
  • what would you recommend
  • think boss is thinking of money

Once again scott, whatever the big red book says is the way to go ;)
little old ladies shouldnt cloud your judgement :p

I'm with the guys on this one. The big red book is king!!

Have you thought about installing a smaller Kw shower to be compatable with 6mm cable?

If she doesn't want that, I am sure after telling the old dear what a mess an electrical fire can cause, she will be pulling the tiles off for you.

I don't think that that would suffice on an EIC.

How are you going to claim that you've complied with BS 7671 if you've got a load greater than the tabulated current carrying capacity of the cable and a protective device rated higher than the tabulated current carrying capacity of the cable?

Very simple and I will certify it too. You’ve got free metres run that means voltage drop will be almost non existent. It will simply allow for a much higher current.
The big red book is a guide only. (Non statutory)
Where is the usual cable burns, is it at the beginning, in the end or in the middle?
According to any physical laws if your connection is good the cable caring capacity does increase. That is one of the main reasons why in other western European countries crimping or soldering the cable ends is absolutely compulsory!

you are quite right, the red book isnt statutory but i find that by abiding by it on simple things like cable selection i sleep better at night ;)
the fact that the customer is a little old lady with new tiles is irrelevant and not a viable defence when it all goes wrong :eek:
each to their own i suppose but i will be sticking with the regs safe in the knowledge my install is 100% correct ;)

you are quite right, the red book isnt statutory but i find that by abiding by it on simple things like cable selection i sleep better at night ;)
the fact that the customer is a little old lady with new tiles is irrelevant and not a viable defence when it all goes wrong :eek:
each to their own i suppose but i will be sticking with the regs safe in the knowledge my install is 100% correct ;)
My install of 6.0mm twin and earth cable for 8.5Km consumable on a 3 metres run will be 100% safe and secure as well!

But what is statutory is the requirement to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

If you disregard the current carrying capacities in BS 7671, which are not arbitrary, have you made reasonable provision?

Read 134.1.4 - it's a fundamental principle of BS 7671 that joints will be properly made, and therefore the capacities tabulated in Appendix 4 will be based on the assumption that they have been.

But in what way does it comply with BS 7671?

I see the DIYer Banallsheds is starting to create arguements on this forum also.

Why are you looking to comment on a document that you don't consider to be relevant (BS7671) and more importantly why worry about an EIC when you have clearly stated on other forums that its not needed?

It appears to me that you seem to visit alot of the forums to cause problems with the members for your own kicks. Why bother?

simopesh,
i think you are missing the point here.
6mm doesnt meet the requirements of bs7671 which we all work to.
why would you want to install 6mm when you can install the correct 10mm and charge the correct amount for the job too.
the fact that the customer is old and has new tiles has no bearing on us as electricians to feel that because she doesnt want the decor damaged we must bend the rules.
you are quite right in saying that your way will work and i dont dispute that but what will your defence be if it did all go wrong??
as i said each to their own but i feel by keeping to the regs i will always have a clear conscience should the unthinkable happen

Hi Guys,
Read all the comments,where as i do feel that bs7671 does go over the top, i have just spent £280 on 17th edition course £100 on books,£450 to renew nic.I will stick to the regs as i have to and anyone else doing electrical instrallation work should do so as well.Its the only way to try to get standards up.It amazes me that for a few pounds more people compromise safety.Why is it our industry allows this i thought part p would sort it out,but it has not !!!

well said coxy.
i think you will find most electricians do adhere to the regs, that is after all what they are there for.
like you say theres no point paying out on latest edition courses if you dont intend to use the book properly. :confused::confused:

Reply to 6mm2 for 8.5 kw shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock