Discuss 7. 3 kw INDUCTION HOB in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Angefoh

DIY
Reaction score
Can I run a 7.3Kw induction hob off of 2 x 16 amp circuits single phase I'm not sure what size cable is installed, I will check.
Would I be be able to run with the 2 x 16amp breakers or should I install a single 32 amp breaker with separate RCD?
Thanks in anticipation.

Can I run a 7.3Kw induction hob off of 2 x 16 amp circuits single phase I'm not sure what size cable is installed, I will check.
Would I be be able to run with the 2 x 16amp breakers or should I install a single 32 amp breaker with separate RCD?
Thanks in anticipation.
Get an electrician in mate. He will advise you on the correct way to install such equipment

Running things dual phase is pretty unconventional over here

Get an electrician in mate. He will advise you on the correct way to install such equipment
I will do so but I just wondered if the existing circuits were enough, other wise I will get a larger cable, which I can at least buy and run myself without paying electricians fees initially.
But thanks for the reply

I will do so but I just wondered if the existing circuits were enough, other wise I will get a larger cable, which I can at least buy and run myself without paying electricians fees initially.
But thanks for the reply
Many Electricians will not connect wiring which your have done and will insist on running it again themselves.

Many Electricians will not connect wiring which your have done and will insist on running it again themselves.
OH really, OK I suppose safety and regs come into play. Still doesn't answer my question regarding existing installation though. But thanks.

as a general rule, a device shouldn't not be run from 2 different breakers unless they are physically interlocked so they trip together.
there are some exceptions but they are unlikely to come into play for your Hob.

as a general rule, a device shouldn't not be run from 2 different breakers unless they are physically interlocked so they trip together.
there are some exceptions but they are unlikely to come into play for your Hob.
Hi James, thanks for the reply. I know that the electrician that installed the 2 circuits was providing for an electric hob which I think do run one set of of rings for each circuit. Should I ask for a single 32 amp breaker to be installed?
I still need to check the size of cable he has installed.
I'm basically wondering if the existing wiring will handle the load?

Hi James, thanks for the reply. I know that the electrician that installed the 2 circuits was providing for an electric hob which I think do run one set of of rings for each circuit. Should I ask for a single 32 amp breaker to be installed?
I still need to check the size of cable he has installed.
I'm basically wondering if the existing wiring will handle the load?
Rings? I don’t think so!

Running things dual phase is pretty unconventional over here
Fairly common in my part of the country, where there are loads of two phase farm supplies, but agree that it's unconventional for a domestic supply.
Unconventional doesn't make it wrong though, so I can't think of a reason to say it definitely shouldn't be done, although the MCBs should be a DP and the isolator a TP.
This all assumes that the hob is designed, like most modern ones, to be run from a three phase supply, and is supplied with links for the UK market. Two of the phase terminals would still have to be linked, so checks would need to be made that the max demand for these two didn't exceed the supply capacity.
Unless it's difficult or impossible, it would still be a lot simpler to fit a new supply cable of sufficient size for the hob.

The 2 x 16 amp feeds are on a single phase just separate breakers. Thanks for your reply.
It's more likely to be one for oven and one for hob.

Do these feed into separate switches/points ?

You still need to look at cables sizes.

Thanks in anticipation.

The short answer is no.

It's more likely to be one for oven and one for hob.

Do these feed into separate switches/points ?

You still need to look at cables sizes.
The oven is on a separate breaker and the two other breakers are marked electric hob 1 and electric hob 2 . I need to pull out my cabinet to see where the cables/outlets are positioned and what size cable is provided. I have a feeling that there are two points and I wired into one of them for my gas hob ignition but that was 6 years ago so everything is a little hazy.
OK thanks for the reply.

Using all 4 burners at max? probably never. With one 16a MCB and one circuit it will probably never trip. If it does but both cables into one 32A MCB making a ring of 1 point.

*Assuming there's nothing else fed from these 16a circuits, the cabling is the right size, and you have a suitable cooker outlet or cooker isolator. Not wiring two 13a plugs together.

Last edited:
Using all 4 burners at max? probably never. With one 16a MCB and one circuit it will probably never trip. If it does but both cables into one 32A MCB making a ring of 1 point.

*Assuming there's nothing else fed from these 16a circuits, the cabling is the right size, and you have a suitable cooker outlet or cooker isolator. Not wiring two 13a plugs together.
He needs to get an electrician in.

put both cables into one 32A MCB making a ring of 1 point.

A ring with a single point of load equalling the OCPD In isn't a valid configuration. A ring is intended to feed a distributed load that ensures reasonable current sharing. Instead this would form a radial circuit with two cables in parallel. As such, it is necessary to meet certain criteria to ensure that the current will be shared reliably and equally and not all transferred to one cable in the event of a bad connection etc. But if those criteria are met, this could be a valid solution.

Fairly common in my part of the country, where there are loads of two phase farm supplies, but agree that it's unconventional for a domestic supply.
Unconventional doesn't make it wrong though, so I can't think of a reason to say it definitely shouldn't be done, although the MCBs should be a DP and the isolator a TP.

In the split-phase scenario the neutral only needs to be the same size as one line, so you could make it into one split-phase 3-wire circuit. But with single-phase, both neutrals would be needed and would have to be separate all the way to the hob, so a 4-pole isolator would be required. That assumes the hob maintains electrical separation between the two circuits, which I don't think is a given. E.g. if one circuit is disconnected at the CU, can the hob be relied upon not to back-feed any leakage to it from the other? It's not intended to be fed from two independent circuits, only from different phases of one circuit, so they might not have allowed for this situation.

With one 16a MCB and one circuit it will probably never trip. If it does...

Not tripping is not a sufficient indication of a correctly designed circuit. There is a no-go zone where Ib>In but not 1.45 x In so not guaranteed to ever trip. This is a more insidious problem than a gross overload that does cause a trip and draws attention to itself. Instead it just cooks gently and shortens the life of the MCB and cable. The time/current characteristics of MCBs and fuses are intended to help avoid nuisance trips and be simple and reliable to implement. But they put the onus on the designer to avoid designing-in foreseeable moderate overloads.

Last edited:
Should I ask for a single 32 amp breaker to be installed?

No, what you need to ask an electrician to do is have a look at the existing circuits and establish whether or not they are suitable for the new hob. And if they are not suitable then ask them to advise, and probably quote, to install a new suitable circuit.

All we know at the moment is that you have two circuits fed from 16A MCB's, we don't know anything about how they are installed, cable size/type etc.
As they were apparently installed to feed 2x hobs they may well be wired in a cable suitable for 32A but had smaller MCB's installed due to a change of plan. You mentioned a gas hob being connected to one of them, this may be the reason for changing to a 16A MCB.

And on another note, why would you change from a gas hob to an electric hob? Gas hobs are much nicer to cook on and cheaper to run.

Reply to 7. 3 kw INDUCTION HOB in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock