Discuss 701.753 vs manufacturers instructions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer wants underfloor heating in his bathroom and wants to use a B & Q Homelux mat. Downloaded manufacturers instructions and technical data to see if this mat complied with the above reg. As it didn't appear to be in compliance (fibreglass mesh as opposed to earthable metal) I emailed Homelux technical seeking clarification but this was ignored. Had a call to their technical helpline returned today to be told that the mat did not incorporate earthing but that the mat was designed for, and had been fully tested for, use in a bathroom and that thousands had been sold and were in use in bathrooms. Other makes of mat seem to be similar. Local wholesalers have not heard of a 'fine mesh metallic grid' for use in such circumstances which makes me think I may be misreading something
The builders proposed method of installation is existing concrete floor, insulation board, mat, waterproof tile adhesive, slate finish which, according to the manufacturers is exactly right. Surely there can't be thousands of EICs for notifiable jobs showing a departure from 7671 because manufacturers instructions have been followed?

Not according to the person on the technical helpline. Haven't seen it yet. Thought it best to check before the event rather than after

Does show on wiring diagram that it must be connected to earth, all the ones I have done in the past have had a metallic sheath

Sorry, misread your reply. Think I was envisaging the grid to be metalled. The helpline bloke stated the sheath to be teflon which sent me on the wrong track. Nothing to stop it being like a co-ax cable with the metal screening around it, all coated with teflon.
Well I would rather post something silly and end up happy than the other way round! Just making sure that I did not need to supply anything extra.

Install it to the manufacturers instructions. The manufacturer has designed and made the thing, and if it is on sale in this country by a reputable retailer or "B and Q", then it will have to have met British Standards etc to prove it is fit for purpose and so on.

The manufacturers instructions are exactly that, and must be complied with for all sorts of reasons. The wiring regs are GUIDANCE ONLY, and the manufacturers instructions always take precedence.

Cheers…………….Howard

Thank you both.
When I looked up the instructions online I saw no specific statement that it was suitable for use in bathrooms hence my contact with the helpline, just to confirm - better safe than sorry. It was their (incorrect) response which made me think that I would have to note it as a departure. Clear now!!

Reply to 701.753 vs manufacturers instructions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock