Discuss 8.5, 9.5 or 10.5kW Shower? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but.... I'm just about to buy an electric shower for the annexe, water pressure is just over 1 bar, the question is, is there much difference between the 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 kW showers in terms of temperature if your water flow is average.

Thanks for any replies

D2e

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but.... I'm just about to buy an electric shower for the annexe, water pressure is just over 1 bar, the question is, is there much difference between the 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 kW showers in terms of temperature if your water flow is average.

Thanks for any replies

D2e
You say your water pressure is just over 1bar, was this measured at peak water usage (generally 7-8.30am and 4.30-6pm) in your area? Most conventional (non-pumped) showers require a minimum water pressure of 1bar and you may well be below this at peak times and therefore should consider fitting a pumped shower.
If you live in a hard water area, lime scale build-up is the killer of most showers. All other things being equal, the lower the electrical input power required the longer the expected life, so 8.5kW would be a wise choice in such circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also a couple of pumped electric shower models out now (no idea what they perform like though). Mira Elite and Triton T80Si I think were the models.

Keep in mind the size of cable you have/will use and derating for the route, it'll make a difference with those powers.

I fit quite a few leccy showers. Most landlords will only pay for an 8.5 and these seem to be quite adequate. Most private owners usually go for a 9 or 9.5 (Mira Sport are very popular) and these seem better, especially in the winter when the mains water is a little colder. Above this rating and it seems the available water flow in most properties simply isn't up to it and you just end up turning the heat down. Given that a 9.5 can be fitted on a 40A/6mm/rmC circuit it also makes the whole exercise more cost effective.

Mira Sport is my weapon of choice. It has a scale inhibitor coating on the heating system to reduce scale formation which maintains performance and increases lifespan. They are also just simply well designed and well built.

20 years ago I used to be a member of Bath (British Gas) Sprots and Squash club. They had a dingy squah court up a hill, with a minging looking shower, all cobwebs and mould, old terracotta tiles etc. But boy! was there some pressure. I have never ever come across a shower since with such pressure.

I was going to correct my Spellinks but thought "Sprots" was funny. So left it.

You say your water pressure is just over 1bar, was this measured at peak water usage (generally 7-8.30am and 4.30-6pm) in your area? Most conventional (non-pumped) showers require a minimum water pressure of 1bar and you may well be below this at peak times and therefore should consider fitting a pumped shower.
If you live in a hard water area, lime scale build-up is the killer of most showers. All other things being equal, the lower the electrical input power required the longer the expected life, so 8.5kW would be a wise choice in such circumstance.

I Agree, a wise choice.

And here's me with my lowly 4.6KW shower, which is more than adequate in providing a decent shower.... lol!!!

Very Green!, on electric and water!

Where did you get it from?

what model is it?:clap::clap::clap:
8.5, 9.5 or 10.5kW Shower? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

All right then, turn this one around.....I've got a 10mm cable(45/50A), decent pressure and soft-ish water. How good can I get and what with??!

Very Green!, on electric and water!

Where did you get it from?

what model is it?:clap::clap::clap:
8.5, 9.5 or 10.5kW Shower? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I didn't get it from anywhere, it was already installed, as they were in all the apartments (block) our company has rented for us. I'd have to ask what the manufacturer's name is, as it's all in Chinese!! lol!! But i have seen very similar units on sale in Cyprus..

Seems that these units work a little differently than those you use in the UK. When you turn the water on, it's on, one position for no heating and one for heating and you control the temperature via the face dial (haven't had a look inside the unit ....so far!!) lol!!! All i know is that it works and works well, ......So far!!

How do you cope with drawings?

In my last job my boss was fluent in Mandarin, German, French and Spanish. He got my arse out of the fire no end of times. His English was crap!

How do you cope with drawings?

In my last job my boss was fluent in Mandarin, German, French and Spanish. He got my arse out of the fire no end of times. His English was crap!

The Official contract, and contract specifications, as you would expect are indeed in simplified Mandarin, to comply with the Chinese Chamber of Commerce rules/regulations, but the working documents and drawings are in the main, all in English.

The main contractor is a actually a consortium of Chinese, Hong kong, Australian contractors. So even the 2 Chinese contractors don't speak the same language, as Hong kong speak Cantonese and use traditional Chinese. Mainland Chinese speak Mandarin and use simplified Chinese lol!! So in effect it makes sense to use English as the common language. lol!!

Can't think of any project i've been involved with overseas, that hasn't used English as the project language. That includes an earlier project in China, Saudi, UAE, Egypt, HK, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, and a good few more!! lol!!

Most of the this projects Contract and Specifications have been originally composed/written in English by British, Aussie, German Architects and Consultant companies, then translated into Mandarin for the Official Chinese submittal to the C of C along with the consortium's documents...

It all sounds a bit complicated, but not, ...the bottom line, anyone of importance on the project, be they Engineering or Administration speak pretty good English. ....Well most of the time anyway... lol!!!

Common misunderstanding is that electric shower use electric to increase pressure, as explained in post unless shower is pumped before or built in pump the pressure will dependant on pressure on cold feed, the kw is rating of element and is somewhat pointless as i do not see anyone using a 8.5kw on full hot setting so no point fitting a 10.5kw over the years i have worked out people think the higher the kw the more the pressure this is clearly not so.

Reply to 8.5, 9.5 or 10.5kW Shower? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock