Discuss 8.5 kw shower on 6mm ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

devonsparky

I know this has been talked about somewhere before but what are your thoughts?

I have seen the run that a re-wire would need and it isn't good!! It is not a long run and the cable comes out of the wall in the loft and staright into the 45A pull switch so not running through loads of insulation.

Put it on a 32A Fuse and don't worry to much, try to keep away from insulation where possible, On I&T's I have seen hundreds and never the the slightest bit of heat damage even with a 9.5. I would never wire it like it but would be happy to leave it with a C3 on a test.

The relevent question is how likely would the customer be to be under the shower, on full power for?

A common misconception some electricians make is that the hotter you make an electric shower, the more current it uses, this is not true, the current will be around 8.5kw constantly, it's the flow of the water pressure allowed through the heating element that changes, not the current used by the element

Just thought id say...

If the 6mm is in good condition, leave a 30A fuse / 32A mcb to protect the cable, It won't trip in the time it takes to have a shower anyway it will trip at 1.5x the rated current in an hour i.e. 48A.
i certainly wouldn't worry about it.

agree with above posts. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I was doing a council kitchen last week, 9.5kW shower on a 6mm cable with a 40A MCB protecting it.

Refured it the council, who sent their sparky over who cleared it as safe.

Covered in insulation 6"above and below.

I could not believe that the council would let that stay and say it was safe

Reply to 8.5 kw shower on 6mm ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Same project as detailed in my other post (I want to run shower cables to the CU whilst the kitchen ceiling is disturbed). I'm going to...
Replies
Views
I've just had a look at an extractor fan not working. As per title it's a bungalow and there are no external walls, so it vents through the loft...
Replies
Views
Hi We recently had an 7kW EV charger installed. Due to the consumer unit being situation within the kitchen of our bungalow, the cable needed to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, looking for some clarification on MCB and cable sizes I need to run for a new kitchen. Cables will run through a combination of...
Replies
Views
I have had a kitchen extesion built on an old property (c.1810), which has an unusual consumer unit situation. Part of the property has only a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock