Discuss 8.5kw shower 6mm2 cable on 32amp mcb ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi there

after some advice re the above problem when just doing a simple like for like shower replacement, as it keeps cropping up. 8.5kw showers, 6mm2 cable protected via a 32amp MCB. now i would usally protect a 8.5kw shower with a 40a mcb on a 6mm cable (ref mthod c) . now i know a 8.5kw shower ( 8500/240 = 35.4 A) will never really ever threaten to trip a 32Amcb. So what do you do replace the 32 with a 40 ? or just leave the 32 in place and note on the cert ?. My concern is that i dont know why it was fused at 32A in the first place, it could be re ref method or it could have been just installed wrong.

To be honest Ian unless the cable is reference method C you can't really replace the PD to 40amp

Personally I would give the customer the choice upgrade the cable to 10mm-40/45amp or leave the 32amp in with the 6mm.

On the side I would be telling them exactly what you posted, the 32amp will be fine, and if after 15 years it starts to wear out you will price them up the upgrade

just what i was going to say. try clamping the current. bet it's under 35A at worst case.

i always cert when replacing a shower as i like to carry out a full circuit test. i know not strictly nessacary as its like for like. i think ill note the existing 32a mcb in comments section re existing installation and explain to customer.

Reply to 8.5kw shower 6mm2 cable on 32amp mcb ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello guys n gals, Did n EICR other week in a flat where the shower circuit was 40A mcb with RCD protection, 6mm cable. Only about 10M run. The...
Replies
Views
Just been to another one of those !! Plumber replaces shower for upgraded version. 40A mcb replaces 32A. No problem mate !! that will work fine...
Replies
Views
Run into this today at a house my nephew is moving into.... Original Dolphin 860 Shower (8600W) installed on 6mm Twin and Earth - maybe 15m...
Replies
Views
Hey guys , just been to a fault finding job and discovered what I think may be the problem but the consumer unit may be overloaded , please advise...
Replies
Views
Hi all Question regarding shower circuit designs. How so many times I see 6mm t&e cables supplying shower circuits on a 40amp MCB ? So for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock