Discuss 8 Gang Grid Switch relacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So too are sockets wired direct from the board with no intermediate, easily-accessible means of isolation. My preferred brands are Hager or Schneider.

Do you fit another panel in the lounge for the TV, DVD player, satellite receiver etc whose sockets are inaccessible behind furniture?

The reason that I do not like these is a technical one.
I guess that the grid switch in the OP's post is powered by a ring final.
The whole point of a ring final is for the loads to be distributed round the ring. Just look at the switches: washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and a water heater all connected to one point in the ring!

Not at all following the guidance in the infamous Appendix 15, and bad practice in my opinion.

I may be wrong, and some of those may be powered by individual radial circuits. But I very much doubt it.

With thanks to all who have contributed to this thread - Very much appreciated.
We can confirm the property is a fairly new build (Redrow)
From scouring the Internet, sadly there appears to be not a great deal of choice when it comes to 8 Gang Grid Switch Panels in a brushed steel finish, so we may have to go with the original BG fitting as shown in the original post.
We will though make sure that the Grid Yokes are compatible (The ones fitted at present are stamped 'Delta').
Additionally a couple of the switches shown are now obsolete in that the Tumble Dryer which used to be in the kitchen is now in the garage and the one marked Water Heater actually powers the Burglar Alarm system !!
Once all is confirmed we will ask our local electrician to visit and carry out the replacement. Thereafter we shall update with how things finished up.
Thanks again.

Reactions: DPG
One very good reason is that the appliance plugs will already be fused.

Assuming the plugs are still attached and not connected to a flex outlet plate yes.
But this doesn't present a problem, obviously it's a 50/50 chance which fuse will go, but apart from being annoying that's not really a problem.

I don’t think you’ll find switches like that now. You’ll need to change yokes, switches and front plate.

Also, at the start you said polished chrome. Your last post said brushed steel. Which do you want?

Assuming the plugs are still attached and not connected to a flex outlet plate yes.
But this doesn't present a problem, obviously it's a 50/50 chance which fuse will go, but apart from being annoying that's not really a problem.

Ah yes, the idiots who remove plugs so the customer has to call an electrician before he can replace the appliance. Also of course possibly invalidate the manufacturers warranty, though not your legal rights of course.

Chances are both fuses would go with a fault.

Yes, GeorgeCooke, I do actually have proof that the public like them. In my previous life I was in many homes and a large proportion of them had those switches in their re-fitted kitchens, and thus I concluded that the public like them. Additionally, many people in new builds have said they love them, so that's why I concluded as I did. Proof?
Well, not for a court of law, clearly.

You concluded that people like because they had them? Perhaps they didn't like them but thought incorrectly that they have to have them.

Thanks again for all contributions.

Can anyone confirm whether grid yolks are generally a universal fitting to any given back box, particularly the centres of the screw holes.

This is fairly crucial as the existing steel back box has to stay in situ (The option to dig it out having gone to the time and trouble of tiling is not something we want to contemplate).

If we can get any given grid yolks to screw into the existing back box, then the job is possible.

Thanks.

Thanks again for all contributions.

Can anyone confirm whether grid yolks are generally a universal fitting to any given back box, particularly the centres of the screw holes.

This is fairly crucial as the existing steel back box has to stay in situ (The option to dig it out having gone to the time and trouble of tiling is not something we want to contemplate).

If we can get any given grid yolks to screw into the existing back box, then the job is possible.

Thanks.

The left and right screw spacing that fixes the grid yoke to the backbox will be standard. The Yokes will be specific to the brand of module you want to fit in them. They are not a universal fit.

The left and right screw spacing that fixes the grid yoke to the backbox will be standard. The Yokes will be specific to the brand of module you want to fit in them. They are not a universal fit.
Hi Andy 78,
Great - Many thanks.
It was only to see if the grid yolk centres would fit our back box. We are aware that different switches require different yolk grids.
Thanks again.

concur with andy. back boxes are standard. all that differs is the depth (front to back).

Generally they are standard, I think it is only one of the ridiculously expensive manufacturers that do something different, maybe Wandsworth or Forbes and Lomax.

That is a old MEM Delta grid I think that they are discontinued know and Delta are rebranded as Eaton now and the design has changed. Bearing in mind that all the engraving has gone you are better off getting a new complete grid switch I have always found MK to be a solid grid but for the lower end Deta or BG.

Reply to 8 Gang Grid Switch relacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock