Discuss 8 gangs of 2 way light switches - wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
If you were wiring 8 gangs of 2 way light switches. Would you wire 8 independent circuits, so 8 no. 3 core between switches. Or would you run a live, and loop all the L1's together, then just run 8 no. 2 core between switches ?

There are a few ways to do this and your wiring system may dictate how you do it. For T&E I have 'three plated' to the switches to save on the amount of wiring at the switch. For singles I would take a line through the switches, are these all on one circuit.

Last edited:
There are a few ways to do this and your wiring system may dictate how you do it. For T&E I have 'three plated' to the switches to save on the amount of wiring at the switch. For singles I would look a line through the switches, are these all on one circuit.
It's all on same circuit.
I don't understand 'three plated' and 'Look a line through the switches' ?

I edited 'look'.
Three plate is where you take a line around your lights then a two core to the switch, just imagine your switches are all in one place. Just eight cables.

If if were me, and assuming that the eight gangs are all mounted together at each end, I’d run one multicore CY between the switch banks, to save a horrible mess of multiple T&Es. (Unless this is singles in conduit - you don’t say). So long as the CSA is suitable for the total load there’s certainly no need for multiple live cores. And you can always double up and shrink fit.
Alternatively I’d do drops in multicore from a big Wago station to the switches, then take separate T&Es from there to the luminaires.
And leave a sketch of how you wired it in the box - possibly complete with a rude message 😀 - for future electricians.
But that’s just me. I often do things differently to ‘standard’ and am often told on here that I’m wrong, as that’s not how the idiot’s guide tells you to do it 🙄

Last edited:
If if we’re me, and assuming that the eight gangs are all mounted together at each end, I’d run one multicore CY between the switch banks, to save a horrible mess of multiple T&Es. (Unless this is singles in conduit - you don’t say). So long as the CSA is suitable for the total load there’s certainly no need for multiple live cores. And you can always double up and shrink fit.
Alternatively I’d do drops in multicore from a big Wago station to the switches, then take separate T&Es from there to the luminaires.
And leave a sketch of how you wired it in the box - possibly complete with a rude message 😀 - for future electricians.
But that’s just me. I often do things differently to ‘standard’ and am often told on here that I’m wrong, as that’s not how the idiot’s guide tells you to do it 🙄
Yeah, I'm looking at running multicore YY cable between switches. Run in conduit in wall and then clipped in ceiling.
I've never done 8 gang, so never considered lopping the lives. Seems a no brainer, but was not sure if there was a reason not to do it.

Correction:
It's 4 gangs for Lounge and 4 gangs for kitchen, all in same switch enclosure. Kitchen is on circuit 1, Lounge is circuit 2.
Should I join circuits in CU, or is it acceptable to have two circuits in same switch enclosure. Technically both circuits only feed their respective lights ?

Based on the questions you are asking, I would get an electrician in for this work. You could always do the chasing and floorboard lifting. No offence intended, but at least you know it will be done correctly and also certified.

Reply to 8 gangs of 2 way light switches - wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net