Discuss 80% rule in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Frosty69

Hi people,
I was talking to my niceic assessor the other day and he mentioned in passing the 80% rule. Ive not heard of this directly before but I assumed he means the max zs not exceeding 0.8 of bs7671 value? So am I right in saying that for example on a B32 the max in regs is 1.16 but I should be hoping for less than 0.9?
Thankyou

not quite. the max. for a 32A type B is 1.44. the 80% of that is 1.15. this is because you are measuring Zsat ambient temp. ( say 20deg.) whereas the operating temp of the cable is up to 70deg. the 80% rule is to allow for the higher rfesistance at the higher temp.

Indeed, also some of my clients insist on me putting the 80% values in the max Zs box on the test sheets, and others 100%

In practice any circuit that reaches the 80% value, should be investigated further, and ascertain how to make it lower

Last edited by a moderator:
The max in the regs for a B32 is 1.44 of the top of my head. The 1.16 figure looks like the corrected value.

that's like saying you should drive at 25mph in a 30mph limit.

Indeed, also some clients of my clients insist on me putting the 80% values in the max Zs box on the test sheets, and others 100%

In practice any circuit that reaches the 80% value, should be investigated further, and ascertain how to make it lower

they are wrong, that is not the max Zs,
the figures on the chart on the back of the niceic pad also have taken into consideration the 80% but you should not enter that on the forms

on site guide figure, page 103 2D
to calc the correct ZS
230/(32*5)=1.44 B type breaker, this then gives BS7671 values.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fast replies and it was the osg I was reading from so they are the results taking into account the 80% rule. Thanks alot people

Reply to 80% rule in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net