Discuss 9.5kw Galaxy unvented heater trips RCD in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

esalglop

DIY
Reaction score
When water is turned ON the RCD TRIPS.
10 metres from CU, 40A mcb. 10mm Doncaster Cable.
Changed to 50mcb and 25mm meter tails. still RCD trips?

I R test the element,
bet it has failed.

corrosion makes a small hole in element case and lets water in.

I thought he meant when he runs the tap !!

No wonder I was confused...

This is brand new Galaxy from Screwfix. This problem occurred. Could not find any faults so returned. It is only with replacement thatI query there cannotbe two faulty units, however, tests with multimeter all OK, so E TO L reads 0mV, so replace 10mm cable with 25mm meter tails and replace 40mcb with 50 mcb but that I agree is silly as it is an Earth leakage problem to switch the RCD.??
[automerge]1570181907[/automerge]
BTW, i have been installing CU, lighting and ring main circuits for 50 odd years. WHEN I had completed the whole circuit (I test each socket with SocketanSee) Then get friend sparkie to test and sign work off.

Last edited:
this is a simple element with a pressure switch to turn it on.
i still think that an insulation resistance test on the element will guide you to the problem.

Yes Zerax. Problem only occurs when tap is turned on.
[automerge]1570184669[/automerge]
I have placed the black cap on E and red cap on element. Testing with Multimeter between these two points reads 3M ohms

Attachments

• AA007F27-EB66-48FA-ADD0-2A5B7BA2188F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
that is a poor result for a new appliance, a multimeter is only testing at very low voltage.
I expect that a 500V I R test between element and earth will give awful result. (disconnect incoming supply first)

Hi - as per James - safely isolate the circuit, disconnect the incoming L and N to the heater and confirm your results.

So I have returned to the unit black lead on end of element
Neutral) red on Earth 3 Mohms.
I then put Black on Earth red on Neutral 0.00 ohms
Massively confused, so I checking CU
same result N toE = 3M ohms
E to N - O.00 ohms
[automerge]1570189570[/automerge]
Disconnect Neutral to Galaxy. O/L reading on N to E or E to N.
Does this mean that there is fault in cabling to CU.
TOOK meter tails out of CU attached direct to Galaxy and it worked!,,,?
What the devil should I be suspecting.

Last edited:
I think at this point, you should be getting a local electrician involved.

Please if you were here, what would you do first.
This CU is 7 metres from a
[automerge]1570190274[/automerge]
I left n
message on his answerphone yesterday, but not having a reply tried this forum!

by taking the tails out of the consumer unit and wiring direct to the water heater, you have removed the rcd from the circuit.
it will work but could be lethal.
the rcd is there to protect you.

I cant advise any further on this matter.
please get someone with the experience and test equipment to make this safe.

Thanks James. No Idid not bypass the CU OTHER than to prove that fault is unlikely to be with the appliance??

Thanks James. No Idid not bypass the CU OTHER than to prove that fault is unlikely to be with the appliance??
there is no alternative but get a sparks in with the correct test gear to ascertain if it's faulty or if you have a fault on your installation. please call one while you are still alive.

I have sent him an email as I did not get a reply to answerphone.
I would not have known if a problem existed until I put in the only heavy load in building.
I had Electrician check out the work last year anyway!

I have sent him an email as I did not get a reply to answerphone.
I would not have known if a problem existed until I put in the only heavy load in building.
I had Electrician check out the work last year anyway!
my knees worked last year. this year they are knackered.

Reply to 9.5kw Galaxy unvented heater trips RCD in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net