Discuss 9.5kw shower on a 6mm in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

This has probably been done to death, but...

What is the best thing to do if you find 9.5kw shower on a 6mm cable and 40 amp breaker??

I told the customer cabling needs upgrading

how is thye cable installed. if it's clipped direct, part chased in masonry, no problem if not smothered in insulation.

Theres now way of telling installation method.

One thing that did worry me and suggested that original installer was a bit of a cowboy was that the earth cable had been snipped back in shower unit..

So i doubt any cable calcs had been done on this one

Nothing. Unless...

the circuit is over 39m long (would need to be a large house)
or
the installation method is not clipped direct or equivalent.

On what basis have you advised an increase to 10mm csa?

On the basis that the cable leaves the fusebox then disappears into a cieling making its way to 2nd floor bathroom. And the snipping off of the cpc tells me this was not installed by a competent person

Theres is no way of really knowing wether its covered in insulation or not...

The old shower packed up and plumber was called to replace it like for like. Its been working on 40amp breaker for a few years with no trouble. I did a insulation resistance test and it didnt show any break down in the cable...

What about insulation in the walls that the cable might be passing through??

Should i start cutting out holes

Im sorry if this is a bit of a daft thread... But don't really knw what shoudl be done in this situation.

The board looks like its been recently upgraded and the previous sparks seems to have thought a 40 amp breaker would be just fine.

Now i've been there and helped replace shower and it becomes my responsibilty

Ok, did as you suggested. Walls are full of insulation. Advised customer that cable be upgraded or shower can be downgraded.... Hes not very happy

thansk all

i've had similar happen to me. When i gave the customer the 'good' news, they thought i was at it, and bumped me off the job. Really don't understand why some 'sparks' even bother taking the risk. For the sake of litterally a couple of quid extra for bigger cable, which the customer would be paying for anyway, why risk lives?? Unless it was a plumber that thought he could upgrade the shower on his own...(also seen this)

Reply to 9.5kw shower on a 6mm in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net