Discuss 9 wires for 3 jobs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dawn

hi very informative site so I'm sure someone will be able to help, I am fitting a ceiling fan with light fitting in bedroom .On removing ceiling rose I find that last tenant has removed the sleeve from the black hot wire ,as there are 3 blacks 1 being neutral as I tested this with electrical tester.there seems to be 2 black hot wires they are both showing live 3 red wires which I have connected together the 3 earths I have connected these into 1 the wires from ceiling also power the back room and bathroom in a loop .the ceiling fan has red blue green and brown,brown I understand is the live for the fan .there are separate pull switches for use of the lights and fan and the usual wall switch .in this case it is a dimmer.i put the 2 black that both sent the connector red on testing into the red and brown on the fan/ light and all usual connections together but then the bathroom light goes of when back bedroom is turned on. With the sleeve missing from black I'm unsure if there are actually2 hot wires can any one help as bathing in the dark leaves smudges lol Ty for any help offered. Dawn;)

All due respect Dawn but Englishman's advice is the best you'll get. Sounds to me like you have messed up which is the switched live and the only way to tell what it is is consult a local electrician as it could be any one of them, trial and error will be dangerous. Please don't try it,it won't be a tremendously expensive job.

Reply to 9 wires for 3 jobs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone, hope all are well. I'm changing a ceiling rose and have lost the diagram showing where everything was connected (to the old light)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views
I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
A rose in my 1970s kitchen ceiling became loose (one fixing screw had been inserted right on the edge of the hole in the ceiling) and when I...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock