Discuss 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markc17

Hi all,
I commissioned the renewal of some mains intake equipment at a building that involved a full shut down. The building runs 24/7 and so a shut down is a VERY rare event. Upon completion of the works the contractor informed me that the 95mm 4 core cable feeding the building was being protected by 200 amp fuses. I looked at table 4D4A and this suggests that the maximum currenct carrying capacity for a cable ot this type,running in ducting, is only 169 Amps.
I asked for old records and test results (which are sketchy at best) and it does seem to point at the fact that this was how the install was done from the outset. Periodic results from ten years ago conveniently have the cable size missed out on the results sheet. Unless i am missing something, this would mean i have to recommend they change their fuses to 160 amp ( which would be a virtual impossibility) or upsize the mains incoming cable which is going to be very costly. Before i recommend these works and upset the boat.. am i missing something?

Re: 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fus

Forget table 4D4A, and look at the manufactures data for this cable!! It's probably still going to be close to the mark!! Any idea of the maximum demand of the overall load of this buildings equipment??

Re: 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fus

Any idea where i would find the information on the cable? as i say the installation is fairly old and information is pretty sketchy. I put a metering pack on the mains of the building for a week and during the day there were peak readings up to 200 amps on the phases, with one even reading as much as 225 during a busy lunch time. If no information is available, surely table 4D4A is what i will have to go by... am amzaed at how much the cable derates being in a ducting. I have to provide the owners with a recommendation....

interesting................ id say stick to book, but you could try doing calc out on full.. but what do i know just interested

I'd say it's fine, it could potentially carry 260 amps, we would need specific information to be sure.

Exact cable type, a precise description of installation method etc.

Who here would go by the book, rather than the cables manufacturer themselves?? Remember that all derating factors and installation methods applied to cables, are based on stated full load current of that cable!!

Quite appalled at the lack of understanding here, and the total reliance of taking figures out of tables that are also not being fully understood!!

Elecsa table actually confirms the rating of 169 Amps as it is a 4 core cable. The switch for the building is fed via main busbars.. 200 amp fuses... then a 30 m run underground up into an intake cupboard to main isolator for building. I can probably see a metre of the cable at each end if i am lucky so am honestly asking how i find out manufacturers information on the cable.. if i cant see anything pointing to manufacturer.. surely then tables must be used.... i would understand if the drop was negligeable.. but 169 amps.. to 200 amps is not...

Check out a few cable manufactures data, they will generally be pretty much in the same ball park!! Check the insulation too, PVC or XLPE. XLPE insulation tends to be more transparent and thinner than PVC insulation, which will also be much brighter in colour than XLPE!! From only my bad memory, 95mm 4 core SWA, should be capable of supplying in excess of 200A rather than the 169A being banded about just because it's in a 30m duct... but i'll stand to be corrected if wrong!! lol!!

We are talking here of only around 30A, and if this is an original cable, that has been in service for some time and has provided the means of supply to the same loading of this building without any ill effects, then my guess is that it will continue to be adequate. Having said that, if the owner is thinking of extending the loading in the foreseeable future, then a cable upgrade would be a prudent move to make now, while the installation as a whole is being renovated. How come this supply cable has only come to light, at or towards the end of the job, surely this would have been one of the first things to assess before the job started!!

Not here to stand to correct you my friend, im only going off whats in the book. It states 169A. Pretty sure its not XLPE. As i say, am suprised myself at how much the cabel derates just from being in a duct.
I agree with you that it should have been assessed at the beginning of the job, assumptions were made as the mains are never ever shut down due to servers and other complications with the building as it is never really not in use. To be honest... whether this assessment had been made at the beginning or the end the job would still have had to go ahead as the incoming mains had no means of isolation and was so crowded that a pannel was essential..
The building is adding more and more all the rime in the way of computer rooms etc.. and as i say.. i had a peak reading of 225 amps on a friday.. it lasted for a good minute or three above 200 amps...

Not here to stand to correct you my friend, im only going off whats in the book. It states 169A. Pretty sure its not XLPE. As i say, am suprised myself at how much the cabel derates just from being in a duct.
I agree with you that it should have been assessed at the beginning of the job, assumptions were made as the mains are never ever shut down due to servers and other complications with the building as it is never really not in use. To be honest... whether this assessment had been made at the beginning or the end the job would still have had to go ahead as the incoming mains had no means of isolation and was so crowded that a pannel was essential..
The building is adding more and more all the rime in the way of computer rooms etc.. and as i say.. i had a peak reading of 225 amps on a friday.. it lasted for a good minute or three above 200 amps...

Mark, you have benn given good advice, your sure ist not XLPE, id be pretty sure it is since the standard has changed requiring it!

It's your call, at the end of the day!! Personally i wouldn't derate a 95mm SWA cable down from around 250'ish Amps or so to 169A because it runs in a duct for 20m or 30m!! Why don't you check the two ends of this existing cable for signs of stress, i doubt very much if you'll see any!!

Mark, you have benn given good advice, your sure ist not XLPE, id be pretty sure it is since the standard has changed requiring it!

Heya Chris, I am not doubting any advise thats for sure.. i appreciate people taking the time to help me out, including yourself. I was given layout drawings this morning which confrims the cable is PVC. Like everyone is suggesting on here.. i am actually in agreement.. there is no signs of stress or overheating.. but the contractor that has carried out the mains change has highlighted the fact that the fuses need to be downsized, and will only sign off from his side of the new isolator and the fixed wire test 5 years ago it seems made a recommendation to do the same thing. the cable derates nearly 100 amps putting it in the ground according to the book.. i am just trying to come up with the best way to advise the client what to do is all..

It's your call, at the end of the day!! Personally i wouldn't derate a 95mm SWA cable down from around 250'ish Amps or so to 169A because it runs in a duct for 20m or 30m!! Why don't you check the two ends of this existing cable for signs of stress, i doubt very much if you'll see any!!

Appreciate the advise. I think the derating is over the top too. Theres no stress or overheating. Just figures causing me headaches from a book. If a contractor brings the matter to the clients attention, as another, it appears has done in the past, then it is my job to advise and recoomend a course of action. Am compiling a report containing meter readings for the week.. now just writing covering letter..

Is it showing signs of overheating?

No Rob.. noth ing to suggest stress..or overheating.. just a few peak times of the day when the amp readings are high (over 200)..and often over the 160 amps to satisfy the table.. problem is that a contractor has recommended a downsizing of fuses recently, as has one in the past. To upgrade the cable would be a huge job so dont want to advise anything rash but the building is obviously pulling more and more as the years go on.

Im in the thinking the original fuses may have been 160's in a 200amp isolator and probably through ill thinking they were changed to 200 to match the isolator without thought as to why they were 160amp in the first place. Id be inclined to sit down and discuss this with the client and express your concerns the fact your only having occasional peaks >200 amp for a few minutes at most is why you havent seen the 200amp fuses go and why there will be no cable damage as such....... check your time current curves on 200amp fuses?

If the plans are for expansion that will add load to the existing set-up then the existing cable won't be adequate even if it was sized correctly, also to check if additional loading is planned is KVA demands and what allowance you have and what the DNO can spare if any, pointless weighing up for increased supply if there isn't a buffer zone available from the DNO to give you extra without charging you for a new substation.

Your difficulty here is probably knowing who made the cable and without this info you have to adhere to the tabulated values and recommend a derating of the fuse or increase of csa of cable... either way i would note it down because your the last inspection and if anything occurs in the near future like an overload of cable or fuses going im sure the downtime will be costly and having written recommendation that it needs addressing will stop the company chasing you for some kind of compensation.

All companies cry poor when costs are unexpected but if they plan on fitting computer suites then maybe that money needs directing to sorting out the power supply issue.... it can all be done with minimal downtime by digging new trench and running new cable in while existing is still functional the added costs of doing this will normally outweigh the cost of shutdown.

Im in the thinking the original fuses may have been 160's in a 200amp isolator and probably through ill thinking they were changed to 200 to match the isolator without thought as to why they were 160amp in the first place. Id be inclined to sit down and discuss this with the client and express your concerns the fact your only having occasional peaks >200 amp for a few minutes at most is why you havent seen the 200amp fuses go and why there will be no cable damage as such....... check your time current curves on 200amp fuses?

If the plans are for expansion that will add load to the existing set-up then the existing cable won't be adequate even if it was sized correctly, also to check if additional loading is planned is KVA demands and what allowance you have and what the DNO can spare if any, pointless weighing up for increased supply if there isn't a buffer zone available from the DNO to give you extra without charging you for a new substation.

Your difficulty here is probably knowing who made the cable and without this info you have to adhere to the tabulated values and recommend a derating of the fuse or increase of csa of cable... either way i would note it down because your the last inspection and if anything occurs in the near future like an overload of cable or fuses going im sure the downtime will be costly and having written recommendation that it needs addressing will stop the company chasing you for some kind of compensation.

All companies cry poor when costs are unexpected but if they plan on fitting computer suites then maybe that money needs directing to sorting out the power supply issue.... it can all be done with minimal downtime by digging new trench and running new cable in while existing is still functional the added costs of doing this will normally outweigh the cost of shutdown.

Id wait untill he aquires the relevent information before he does anything, potentially this cable could take upto 260 amp.

I agree with darkwood you should be concerned that the 200A fuses haven't blown at 220+ amps sustained for minutes.

Also there's videos on YouTube of 95mm taking 5000 amps ;) only for about 20 minutes but still

If you cant get any manufacturers details then you'll have to go from the regs book. If anything happens least your bum will be covered.

You can only advise, just as the last 2 contractors did. Advise them on the options.

Just because it's been ok so far doesnt mean it's going to be ok in the future with expansion.

Remember it's your name on it all the end...:thumbup:

Reply to 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock