Discuss 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fus

Ok.. well.. judging by the way every other aspects of electrical install has been carried out at this place i would hate to guess... duct is perhaps 12 inches across.. ceramic.. in the building.. but when it comes out of the building and down the wall.. it disappears into the road with tarmac covering any sign of ducting... Anyway.. im going to submit a report advising what the regs say.. and advising what a cable manufacturer would say.. and tell them that whatever happens.. they are at capacity.. THEN wait and see if they tell me tto investigate how to pull a new feed in..:)
Best go check to make sure conductors are copper first lol...although im sure they are..
Thanks for your time.. very much appreciated.
P.S. you are right.. would be worth a few... if i can get it away..;)

Re: 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fus

How about taking a few pictures of this 95mm cable installation when your back down there. It'll give a much clearer veiw of what were talking about!!

By the way, are there any other cables within this duct with the 95mm cable??

No confusion here!! lol!!

So you too would apply a grouping factor to a ring circuit if both legs were run in a conduit or other containment. That'll be a first for me!!! lol!!

As i recall been taught that the unique nature of a ring main and its normal operating conditions give an exemption from grouping factor to itself where as supply cables with no spurs which are designed to handle up to full ccc of both cables have to include grouping factor... if you flick through the regs regarding Parallel cables you often see that ring mains are exempt from the regulation or are noted that the specific reg shouldn't be applied to ring mains ....

523.8 .... discussing achieving load sharing later states this does not preclude the use of ring mains with or without spurs....

This is repeated with many regulations regarding parallel cables and gives the overall impression that the nature of our flawed ring-main system is in itself a seperate area requiring its own regulation hence appendix 15 or reg 433.1.5 which all through there implementation give the ring main its exemption for the need to apply a grouping factor...

As i recall been taught that the unique nature of a ring main and its normal operating conditions give an exemption from grouping factor to itself where as supply cables with no spurs which are designed to handle up to full ccc of both cables have to include grouping factor... if you flick through the regs regarding Parallel cables you often see that ring mains are exempt from the regulation or are noted that the specific reg shouldn't be applied to ring mains ....

523.8 .... discussing achieving load sharing later states this does not preclude the use of ring mains with or without spurs....

This is repeated with many regulations regarding parallel cables and gives the overall impression that the nature of our flawed ring-main system is in itself a seperate area requiring its own regulation hence appendix 15 or reg 433.1.5 which all through there implementation give the ring main its exemption for the need to apply a grouping factor...

There is nothing flawed in the nature of a ring circuit, so let's not go there!! lol!! If there was going to be any detrimental effect on ring circuit, you can be dammed sure a factor would be placed against it!! Grouping factors have always been about grouping of circuits rather than conductors/cables, otherwise you can start adding Trefoil-ed conductors into the equation too!!...

Never, and i do mean never, have i applied a grouping factor to a Paralleled single circuit. And many of those parallel circuits were feeders from TX's to main switchboards consisting of multiple conductors per phase, in fact i'm looking at a project drawing consisting of a similar situation now, consisting of 9 X 95mm insulated & sheathed singles per phase!! run on tray in trefoil (or should i say quad-foil lol!!) Can you imagine what any grouping factor for this single circuit would do to the size of those conductors!! Jesus, they would end up as 185mm's ... Other de-rating factors to apply Yes, grouping de-rating of conductors of a single circuit, ...No!!

I have to disagree with you there Eng54. Single Circuit or Multiple Circuits, its all the same. Its all about dispersal of heat from the cables. If the cables are spaced correctly then you do not need to apply the grouping factors. As darkwood said "Ive been digging wider trenches for years and spacing the cables subject to calculation relative to diameter for yrs to avoid derating for grouping"

I have to disagree with you there Eng54. Single Circuit or Multiple Circuits, its all the same. Its all about dispersal of heat from the cables. If the cables are spaced correctly then you do not need to apply the grouping factors. As darkwood said "Ive been digging wider trenches for years and spacing the cables subject to calculation relative to diameter for yrs to avoid derating for grouping"

On a trench with a single parallel circuit?? I don't think so!! On any trench with multiple cables, parallel circuit or otherwise, you would space out your cables, purely for natual movement of the ground.

...in fact i'm looking at a project drawing consisting of a similar situation now...

Get back to work then!

All a parallel circuit is, is replacing a single large CSA sized cable with smaller CSA cables, that can give many advantages and equally shares the current flowing. It remains at all times a SINGLE circuit, it cannot influence any other circuit!! (unless run with other cable/circuits of course)

All a parallel circuit is, is replacing a single large CSA sized cable with smaller CSA cables, that can give many advantages and equally shares the current flowing. It remains at all times a SINGLE circuit, it cannot influence any other circuit!! (unless run with other cable/circuits of course)

Come on Eng54, you have to be taking the ---- now....
Ok, just look in the regs at correction factors for cables... they are all about heat dissipation of the cables.. Ambient temp, thermal insulation, buried in the ground.....
Look at the tables for the current capacity of cable eg. Table 4E4A the more surface area of the cable is in contact with the air the higher the current is.. Also heat dissipation...
Therefore two cables touching will not dissipate the same heat as two cables apart. Therefore you have to de-rate the cable. Again, single circuit or multi-circuits its all the same. The physics of it cant distinguish between 2 cables supplying 100A each for one circuit and 2 cables supplying 100A for 2 circuits. They are both producing the same heat....

Come on Eng54, you have to be taking the ---- now....
Ok, just look in the regs at correction factors for cables... they are all about heat dissipation of the cables.. Ambient temp, thermal insulation, buried in the ground.....
Look at the tables for the current capacity of cable eg. Table 4E4A the more surface area of the cable is in contact with the air the higher the current is.. Also heat dissipation...
Therefore two cables touching will not dissipate the same heat as two cables apart. Therefore you have to de-rate the cable. Again, single circuit or multi-circuits its all the same. The physics of it cant distinguish between 2 cables supplying 100A each for one circuit and 2 cables supplying 100A for 2 circuits. They are both producing the same heat....

I don't take the ****!!

Oh i forgot, none of this applies to a ring circuit does it!! It somehow doesn't need to have the same heat dissipation requirements of a similar circuit!!

Whatever you guy's want to do when running parallel circuits is up to you lot!! You'll be, all but defeating to whole point of a parallel circuit!!
I know that i'll wont be adding a grouping factor to any parallel single circuits i'll be seeing on this project!! And i'll be happily sleeping like a baby to the end of my days, in that knowledge!! lol!!!

I think what people may be overlooking here E54 (and I'm in full agreement with you), is that when you do the maths you'll find that N + N has a greater surface area than (2N) [if you see what I mean]. This is why two parallel conductors together can still dissipate more heat.

Ok mate, it looks like you are not going to change your mind. I have tried to tell you the physics behind grouping factors. I just hope that the people who search this site looking for info on parallel circuits just dont look at your post count and then mine and say "Eng54 has to be right" and they look at the whole picture.
Anyhow Im going home in 5 mins, so the kids can bully me. Ill see in the morning if anyone agrees with me. Have a good one mate.

The physics of it cant distinguish between 2 cables supplying 100A each for one circuit and 2 cables supplying 100A for 2 circuits. They are both producing the same heat....
a
Sorry mate, I'm with E54 on this. They're not producing the same heat! Two parallel conductors of identical nature carrying I current at U voltage along R resistance will both be identical, whereas two different circuits will be operating at different lengths and voltage drops, hence they will never create the same amount of heat - hence one can induce heat in the other, whereas our parallel conductors are incapable of transferring heat energy one to the other as the figure is the same for both of them to start with.

If I put a jug of boiling water next to another jug of boiling water I don't create 200 degrees in between them, I've still got 100 degrees. But if I place one jug at 50 and one at 90 side by side then we get (in a perfect sealed system) 70 degs resulting between them.

I think what people may be overlooking here E54 (and I'm in full agreement with you), is that when you do the maths you'll find that N + N has a greater surface area than (2N) [if you see what I mean]. This is why two parallel conductors together can still dissipate more heat.

Im always open to debate and just as you posted this i was thinking the same ... the surface area of 2 cables is larger than that of 1 conductor of twice the size thus could omit the grouping factor this would be in agreement of E54's posts but up until this point was made it was hard to understand the reasoning but yep E54 can sit down with his cuppa and slightly smug smile il possibly re-think this area of the regs and may explain why it dosn't actually mention grouping factor directly in association of a multi cable parallel supply ..... but hey all ive wasted is a few half charlies spacing the swa's before overfill so if im gonna be wrong id rather it not effect the integrity of my previous work lol....

Browsing the tinterweb though i get conflicting results so assume some countries base ccc calculations different to ours and thus do apply this grouping factor for parallel cables of 1 circuit as their initial ccc of cables may be higher but subject to more derating.

Im always open to debate and just as you posted this i was thinking the same ... the surface area of 2 cables is larger than that of 1 conductor of twice the size thus could omit the grouping factor this would be in agreement of E54's posts but up until this point was made it was hard to understand the reasoning but yep E54 can sit down with his cuppa and slightly smug smile il possibly re-think this area of the regs and may explain why it dosn't actually mention grouping factor directly in association of a multi cable parallel supply ..... but hey all ive wasted is a few half charlies spacing the swa's before overfill so if im gonna be wrong id rather it not effect the integrity of my previous work lol....

Browsing the tinterweb though i get conflicting results so assume some countries base ccc calculations different to ours and thus do apply this grouping factor for parallel cables of 1 circuit as their initial ccc of cables may be higher but subject to more derating.

Work it out, 1 cable 300mm and 2 150mm, work out the mW/m, the larger cable will emit more heat.

When enclosed or grouped, the radiated heat loss is dramatically reduced, this is why we derate.

Practical tests were used with upto 37 grouped cables, if all were parallel, how would you expect the cables in the middle to perform?

There is also the theoretical models, all of which the table within BS 7671 is based upon.

I sure the NEC use the same method too, they just calculate In differently.

I'm not being in anyway smug here, It's what and how i was taught, and what i've been applying for too many years to be told any differently now!! I've also never once seen a calculation placed in front of me, by any contractors Engineer, for approving parallel cable sizes, that have included a grouping factor. I work with quite a few different national standards, and too my knowledge, none of them apply or require a grouping factor for paralleled single circuits either!!

You haven't wasted anything, if your talking about spacing cables in a trench, I do the same. But my reasoning is for any future ground movement. I never run cables in trenches straight either, they are always laid with slight snaking along it's length for the same reason and to allow for any seasonal expansion/contraction that may occur etc....

Work it out, 1 cable 300mm and 2 150mm, work out the mW/m, the larger cable will emit more heat.

When enclosed or grouped, the radiated heat loss is dramatically reduced, this is why we derate.

Practical tests were used with upto 37 grouped cables, if all were parallel, how would you expect the cables in the middle to perform?

There is also the theoretical models, all of which the table within BS 7671 is based upon.

I sure the NEC use the same method too, they just calculate In differently.

The larger won't emit MORE heat, it will emit the same amount of heat energy dissipated over a smaller surface area than the two parallel conductors which have a greater surface area - this is basic radiator principle. If N amount of electrical energy passing down R resistance of copper will produce J amount of heat, J becomes a fixed form. So all we are left with is simply J/circumference, of which 2 x ccc's are roughly 1/3 larger than a single one double the size. Do the maths if you don't believe me!

I'm not being in anyway smug here, It's what and how i was taught, and what i've been applying for too many years to be told any differently now!! I've also never once seen a calculation placed in front of me, by any contractors Engineer, for approving parallel cable sizes, that have included a grouping factor. I work with quite a few different national standards, and too my knowledge, none of them apply or require a grouping factor for paralleled single circuits either!!

You haven't wasted anything, if your talking about spacing cables in a trench, I do the same. But my reasoning is for any future ground movement. I never run cables in trenches straight either, they are always laid with slight snaking along it's length for the same reason and to allow for any seasonal expansion/contraction that may occur etc....

The smug was just humour and im not worthy ;) ....:mickey:

Like E54 I've run countless parallel feeds, never applied a de-rating to them. As has been said it would make the whole exercise pointless.

Reply to 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock