Discuss 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm with e54, why would you derate a parallel cable, it seems pointless, they are both of the same origins and circuit destination so why would you not treat them as 1 cable.?? Or am I missing something?

Re: 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fus

OK guys, it looks like I'm the only one here that applies a grouping factor to cables that are run in parallel (that are touching, Table ), when they feed a single source. So please can someone explain why they don't. As I posted in #40

(example 1:same source supply) We have 2 cables (touching, in ducting) each drawing 100A (the source requires 200A) The cables are of the same size and are both 30 meters long. You are saying you would not de-rate these cables as they are supplying a single sourse

(example 2: 2 separate sources) We have 2 cables (touching, in ducting) each drawing 100A (each source requires 100A) The cables are of the same size and are both 30 meters long. You are saying you would de-rate these cables.

You de-rate the cables due to heat disipation. Example 1 cables are producing the same heat as example 2 cables. In layman's terms, so a thicko like me can understand, why de-rate example 2 but not example 1? What is the logic in that... They are the same..

Re: 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fus

I think Rockingit has given you a more than good enough explanation!!

Again i stress, that were talking here about a single parallel circuit, not a situation where there are two or several parallel single circuits grouped/run in a containment. In this case you ''Would'' apply a grouping factor for the multiple ''circuits'', as you would normally, for running multiple ''circuits'' in a given containment.... But notice that i stated circuits and not conductors/cables!! lol!!

On another note, ''All'' these de-rating tables (correction factors) are based on the worst case scenario, which can be quite misleading to say the least, for those that lack experience. Blindly using these tables verbatim, can and will lead to grossly over sized cables if they aren't anywhere near worst case in the first place... The times i've seen a cable on paper, that has gone through a number of correction factors, without any thought being applied, ending up too large to be physically possible to connect!! lol!!

The larger won't emit MORE heat, it will emit the same amount of heat energy dissipated over a smaller surface area than the two parallel conductors which have a greater surface area - this is basic radiator principle. If N amount of electrical energy passing down R resistance of copper will produce J amount of heat, J becomes a fixed form. So all we are left with is simply J/circumference, of which 2 x ccc's are roughly 1/3 larger than a single one double the size. Do the maths if you don't believe me!

I have done the Maths lol, if think you need to!!

Example Table 4E1A

Ib = 700 amp, 2 Phase, Cables touching Ref Method C

2 x 150mm CSA

1 x 300 mm CSA

Your argument is missing a few key point's

2 x 150 = ccc = 952 amps
1 x 300 = ccc = 743 amps

Power dissiapted = I2R

Last edited:

OK guys, it looks like I'm the only one here that applies a grouping factor to cables that are run in parallel (that are touching, Table ), when they feed a single source. So please can someone explain why they don't. As I posted in #40

(example 1:same source supply) We have 2 cables (touching, in ducting) each drawing 100A (the source requires 200A) The cables are of the same size and are both 30 meters long. You are saying you would not de-rate these cables as they are supplying a single sourse

(example 2: 2 separate sources) We have 2 cables (touching, in ducting) each drawing 100A (each source requires 100A) The cables are of the same size and are both 30 meters long. You are saying you would de-rate these cables.

You de-rate the cables due to heat disipation. Example 1 cables are producing the same heat as example 2 cables. In layman's terms, so a thicko like me can understand, why de-rate example 2 but not example 1? What is the logic in that... They are the same..

No your not on your own, i derate to!!

Eng54. I understand that we are talking about a single parallel circuit. If you are also refering to Rockingit post #75 then he deviates from my examples of the cables being of the same length and carrying the same current. It does not answer my question in post 83.

Chris. Regarding your post #85: My argument is about applying groupling factors to parallel cables that are touching. Not what your maths are about.. Thanks for your post #86

Example Table 4E1A

2 x 150mm CSA

1 x 300 mm CSA

2 x 150 = ccc = 952 amps
1 x 300 = ccc = 743 amps

Power dissiapted = I2R

Exactly my point about using worst case correction factors!! Your actually reducing any heat, by using two smaller CSA cables that ''CAN'' carry considerably more current, but actually isn't!! Who in their right mind would install a circuit that is going to be on it's limits?? lol!!

Do you apply a grouping correction factor to a circuit run in trefoil too?? Adds up to exactly the same thing after all!!

Deviating from me learning here :)
In my examples (post 83) all the cables are carrying the same current, are of the same length, same type of armoured cable.... therefore producing the same heat.
Please explain why you only apply de-rating factors for example 2.

If you use the argument ' ''All'' these de-rating tables (correction factors) are based on the worst case scenario' and 'Who in their right mind would install a circuit that is going to be on it's limits' then you wouldn't apply the correction factors for example 1 and 2. (This is not meant to come across insulting in any way or form)

Last edited:

Exactly my point about using worst case correction factors!! Your actually reducing any heat, by using two smaller CSA cables that ''CAN'' carry considerably more current, but actually isn't!! Who in their right mind would install a circuit that is going to be on it's limits?? lol!!

Do you apply a grouping correction factor to a circuit run in trefoil too?? Adds up to exactly the same thing after all!!

Yes in open air the conductor operating temp will be lower in the parallel, but when we enclose and group the cables this greatly effects the parallels cable to effectively radiate that heat, thus causing the opersti.g temp to dramatically rise, so we have to derate.

Example Table 4E1A

2 x 150mm CSA

1 x 300 mm CSA

2 x 150 = ccc = 952 amps
1 x 300 = ccc = 743 amps

Power dissiapted = I2R

Great discussion!

Even if you applied worst case group factor from Table 4C1 of 80%, the 2 cables above would be 762A.

So, your effectively derating the cable yourself.

Re the Trefoil, single cores, Note 5 of 4C1, if a group consists of n single core cables it may be considered as n/2 circuits of 2 loaded conductors or n/3 circuits of 3 loaded conductors. ie 1 circuit.

I think I'm starting to get it?!?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Re the Trefoil, single cores, Note 5 of 4C1, if a group consists of n single core cables it may be considered as n/2 circuits of 2 loaded conductors or n/3 circuits of 3 loaded conductors. ie 1 circuit.QUOTE]

This post and my question is about 4 core cable. Note 5 of Table 4C1 doesnt apply. Also note on Table 4C1 the title: Rating factors for one circuit or one multicore cable or a group of circuits, or a group of multicore cables, to be used with current-carrying capacities of Tables 4D1A to 4J4A

Great discussion!

Even if you applied worst case group factor from Table 4C1 of 80%, the 2 cables above would be 762A.

So, your effectively derating the cable yourself.

Re the Trefoil, single cores, Note 5 of 4C1, if a group consists of n single core cables it may be considered as n/2 circuits of 2 loaded conductors or n/3 circuits of 3 loaded conductors. ie 1 circuit.

I think I'm starting to get it?!?!?!?

Would you call sizing a circuit cable correctly, as ''de-rating''?? ...If so, ...Yes!! lol!!
It's not ''all'' about CCC, the circuit is also required to be sized to provide suitable limitations on volt drop etc. A parallel single circuit can and does have many advantages over the use of a single cable. Start treating it as a multiple circuit installation by applying unnecessary correction factors, and those advantages disappear over the hill!! ...lol!!

Yes in open air the conductor operating temp will be lower in the parallel, but when we enclose and group the cables this greatly effects the parallels cable to effectively radiate that heat, thus causing the opersti.g temp to dramatically rise, so we have to derate.

Your quite at liberty to de-rate a parallel circuit, fortunately those that know better will not!! Your making it sound as if a parallel single circuit radiates heat like no tomorrow, when in fact sized correctly will do nothing of the kind!! The individual cables will be carrying far less current and thus less heat dissipation, than a far larger single cable, that even in itself won't be dissipating heat to anywhere near worrying levels. Your seeing/creating overblown problems, where none really exist!!

Re the Trefoil, single cores, Note 5 of 4C1, if a group consists of n single core cables it may be considered as n/2 circuits of 2 loaded conductors or n/3 circuits of 3 loaded conductors. ie 1 circuit.QUOTE]

This post and my question is about 4 core cable. Note 5 of Table 4C1 doesnt apply. Also note on Table 4C1 the title: Rating factors for one circuit or one multicore cable or a group of circuits, or a group of multicore cables, to be used with current-carrying capacities of Tables 4D1A to 4J4A

I think you'll find, they are in all cases above, referring to circuits, rather than same circuit conductors!!
Or..... we go back yet again, to circuits run in Trefoil and even the humble ring circuit!!

Your quite at liberty to de-rate a parallel circuit, fortunately those that know better will not!! Your making it sound as if a parallel single circuit radiates heat like no tomorrow, when in fact sized correctly will do nothing of the kind!! The individual cables will be carrying far less current and thus less heat dissipation, than a far larger single cable, that even in itself won't be dissipating heat to anywhere near worrying levels. Your seeing/creating overblown problems, where none really exist!!

We are talking about bunching cables together, 2,3,4 circuits and enclosed at that, now it's not all just Thermal, there is a thing called the proximity effect too, all this effects the conductor temp, it's well documented, these are IEC standards.

Last edited:

That's my point, parallel cables bunched and enclosed don't dissipate their heat well at all, add inductive issues like the proximity effect and the cable gets hotter with less current and can't dissipate that heat as quickly causing the conductor temp to increase.

We are talking about bunching cables together, 2,3,4 circuits and enclosed at that, now it's not all just Thermal, there is a thing called the proximity effect too, all this effects the conductor temp, it's well documented, these are IEC standards.

No we are not, ...we are talking about a paralleled single circuit, If we were talking about multiple parallel single circuits in an enclosure or whatever, then yes i would agree, the grouping correction factors would certainly apply!!

That's my point, parallel cables bunched and enclosed don't dissipate their heat well at all, add inductive issues like the proximity effect and the cable gets hotter with less current and can't dissipate that heat as quickly causing the conductor temp to increase.

What's your point?? What sort of heat increases are you actually talking about here, temperature increases that will affect current ratings, that's just nonsense!! Your far more likely to find a larger single cable getting a bit warm, than it's equivalent paralleled circuit, run in exactly the same conditions. Your still seeing a problem that doesn't exist!!

So you would add a grouping correction factor to a trefoil run circuit would you?? Exactly the same conditions apply, it's a single circuit made up with 3 or 4 single conductors bunched together!!

Your far more likely to find a larger single cable getting a bit warm, than it's equivalent paralleled circuit, run in exactly the same conditions. Your still seeing a problem that doesn't exist!! !

but given the same level of current flowing through the following circuits, which would be warmer?

2 x 25mm cable in parallel, on a tray in free air but touching, carrying a combined 270 amps

2 x 25mm cable in parallel, on a tray in free air and spaced by one cable diameter, carrying a combined 270 amps

Seems to me that the first set of touching cables would always be warmer (all other things being equal), so I can't understand why it shouldn't be derated slightly relative to the spaced out cables.

Last edited:

I wouldn't run a 2 X 25mm parallel circuit to carry 270A current!!

But in a correctly sized/installed paralleled circuit, it wouldn't and shouldn't make much of a difference, be the conductors touching or not touching, to need a grouping de-rating correction factor to be applied!! Again, ...please tell me what sort of tempreture rises/differences are you all assuming/ expecting for these touching cables, to want to derate them for gods sake??

Reply to 95 mm 4 core cable, 30 m run, in ducting under buildings backed up by 200 amp fuses in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock