Discuss A bit of testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Resu

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Did a bit of testing recently for our local housing association. Found this in a communal area at the front door to a block of flats:

A bit of testing {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Yep, full of water!

Turned power off and drained:

When water drained battery backup kicked in! (Circuit was protected by 3036 fuse):

Also found this in a property, usual story, loose connection:

Not housing association but just as good:

The next one was a good one. Testing a village hall recently and having a bit of trouble with two "radials". Turns out they were wired as a ring and when someone nailed the cable and they couldn't find the fault (or didn't bother looking) they decided to change to two radials. We did a bit of digging and found this, which has been like this for about 30 years:

Needless to say all has been rectified except village hall which is looking like a full rewire is on the cards.

Another good one from the other day. Wasn't testing but noticed this while walking through a small agricultural shed, thankfully disconnected!
A bit of testing photo - EletriciansForums.net

I just watched a few episodes of Benefit Street and I think people in UK social housing are getting a bad rap. They seem like a nice bunch once you get to know them :)

I just watched a few episodes of Benefit Street and I think people in UK social housing are getting a bad rap. They seem like a nice bunch once you get to know them :)
until you find you need to get in to get an ECR done...

they know you are supposed to be coming round....

you try getting em out of bed before noon.....not a chance..

How did the fluorescent get full of water? It looks pretty sheltered where it is.

Probably under a flat roof that hasn't been maintained for years. You'll be surprised just how much water can get through a concrete roof where the weatherproof is totally shot. Then again, it could be a wooden frame tiled roof, where the tiles have been interfered with, and/or damaged.

So if as i suspect this is a back entry fitting, with no sealing around the cables entering the fitting, ...Wallah, a water filled weatherproof fitting!! lol!!

Probably under a flat roof that hasn't been maintained for years. You'll be surprised just how much water can get through a concrete roof where the weatherproof is totally shot. Then again, it could be a wooden frame tiled roof, where the tiles have been interfered with, and/or damaged.

So if as i suspect this is a back entry fitting, with no sealing around the cables entering the fitting, ...Wallah, a water filled weatherproof fitting!! lol!!
idiots that fixed it up will have just screwed up into that ceiling/tilt....probably straight through as well....

until you find you need to get in to get an ECR done...

they know you are supposed to be coming round....

you try getting em out of bed before noon.....not a chance..

Just open a can of carling and light a spliff, the smell & sound will rouse them.

Reply to A bit of testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock