Discuss A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OnlQQker

Esteemed
Reaction score
I have a Kewtech KT63 which I picked up a couple of years ago for testing stuff in the shed.
It has just run out of calibration and I'm not sure whether to contact Kewtech and ask them who to calibrate it or what?

I know on Ebay people are calibrating but you have to package it up and send it away, but my mate who works in Edmunson's, Leighton Buzzard (who I popped in and saw earlier) has just given me this flyer, he also mentioned that if it wasn't ready the same day and I needed to pick it up Friday, then they have a free burger van and drinks.

What he doesn't know is I can eat at least 25 quid's worth of bacon rolls, let alone free coffee! 😂

4ba3bf80-e256-4779-b678-6df97d69589b.jpeg

Why does it need calibrating ? £60 I think is still expensive when these guys do a Daily special offer . If its not been used for site testing etc then why a 63?

I'm not a fan of while you wait / on the day calibration events as the meter isn't calibrated under the same verifiable environmental conditions as it would if you took it to a calibration company who usually leave it to aclimatise in their calibration lab for 24 hours before calibration

I'm not a fan of while you wait / on the day calibration events as the meter isn't calibrated under the same verifiable environmental conditions as it would if you took it to a calibration company who usually leave it to aclimatise in their calibration lab for 24 hours before calibration
THis.....Its like a "drive by EICR" .Its another business that is not really regulated well

What qualifications are required to "calibrate " and what would the start up cost be to buy the right gear etc ?
Not sure about qualifications, but Time Electronics make all sorts of precision standards and cal kits. This one is about £5k and does MFT:

Of course you need to have the cal kit calibrated by someone with even better equipment...all the way to the NPL or similar!

I have a couple of Time products, including their 1068 resistor standard (0.01% to 0.1% depending on value) and 1044 DC voltage/current calibrator (0.05%) but after work changes they have not been back for factory/standards lab cal.

If you look at some of the big wholesalers sites they have quite often have a branch events section, there might be one near you running one
The only other option may be to ask at local wholesaler branches if enough people ask they may run one

If you look at some of the big wholesalers sites they have quite often have a branch events section, there might be one near you running one
That seems to get nowhere, for example, I can't find the OP's event mentioned on the Edmundson site!

The only other option may be to ask at local wholesaler branches if enough people ask they may run one
That might be worth a try. I know there are some cal places around Glasgow but usually you have to send them and with for return. That I can live with, just don't have original boxes to post safely any more!

CEF and others have a calibration day every now and then.
Due to my location they usually pick it up on one delivery day and return it the next.
I'm about 120 miles from my nearest wholesaler so popping in isn't really an option.

Probably better just to phone the usual suspects where you are and find out when their calibration days are.

CEF and others have a calibration day every now and then.
Due to my location they usually pick it up on one delivery day and return it the next.
I'm about 120 miles from my nearest wholesaler so popping in isn't really an option.

Probably better just to phone the usual suspects where you are and find out when their calibration days are.
I checked with the Dundee branch of CEF and they are doing a day on the 10th May so will take my MFT along, maybe my Megger IR tester and I think somewhere we have a PAT tester that ought to be checked as well.

Hit up yellow pages; you may find some that will come to you.

That seems to get nowhere, for example, I can't find the OP's event mentioned on the Edmundson site!
I think it's to do with management. The management in a lot of these kind of places (Builders merchants/plumbing/electrical/tiling/decorating chains etc, etc) don't have that critical edge thinking.
They couldn't care less if you brought something or not. They're on fixed wage with bonuses attached but they have to work there butt off to reach that level.

Yet, the whole game isn't just about money.

I've only met one manager in my life that has shown a way of thinking which makes you feel part of the bigger picture, and he's running the branch I posted about!

Let's face it, you're better off having friendly customers than ----ed off ones, unless you couldn't care 2 hoots about the company you're working for, then I guess you go for the latter approach.

Reply to A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net