Discuss A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Automated testing can speed cal processes up no end. Calibration has moved on significantly over the years

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I would have thought that operating temperatures within the MFT would have to be stabilised before any meaningful tests can be carried out against the manufacturers specification, this can't be accomplished by a walk in test?

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would have thought that operating temperatures within the MFT would have to be stabilised before any meaningful tests can be carried out against the manufacturers specification, this can't be accomplished by a walk in test?
I would guess many dont really care.They want their MFT back and as cheap as possible .They just presume they work until something really goes wrong with it .

Reaction score
That is the aspect of my MFT I can't check myself. The closest I can do is test one of my home sockets to see it has not changed much which, while better than nothing, is not quite enough to be sure.

I have a CalCard and really would recommend it as a handy way to check the low/high R ranges. I also have other meters that can be used to verify AC volts but the Zs & RCD stuff then I only have the one MFT.
I have a non-rcd socket near my CSU for testing Zs and using an RCD plug only for testing MFT, I also use 50m reel cable for resistance. These are solid state devices, the connections,clips leads are more susceptible to variation...keep a history of tests. Any real variation after replacing leads etc ...get it calibrated....every year is OTT.

Reply to A Calibrated Question (Multi Meters) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net