Discuss A complete house rewire where to start???? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

When I fitted our new bathroom, the management simply simply used the showers at the gym for a week without complaint - take that as "she's a keeper" :)

Back to the thread, I do a lot of emergency call-outs (find the fault and make it safe / warm / light) so a full and occupied rewire looks, to my eyes, the ultimate test of house wiring skill and something I'm keen to develop. Also, the amount of dirt and rubble generated by lifting boards and flooring and then chasing walls will trash any decent furnishing or carpets unless they are moved out.

Clients who can't / won't plan must be a nightmare!

12v shocker competent means able to do the job safely and with thorough understanding of what the job entails is this what the trade has become people doing a course and then thinking that they can do the job if you have to ask these questions then you are a cowboy I have seen enough dangerous practices from people who do not have a clue do us all a favour LEAVE WELL ALONE

Last edited:
Re-wire whilst 'living in' your own house with a family!
Best of luck! no right or wrong way, whatever way you feel best. As it is 'lived in', you may adopt a room by room approach but not easy maintaining supply to lighting and power along the way.
Send the family on a weeks holiday then you'll be able to rip out the old and install the new before they return!
I did rewires 3 days live in as well, what's all the fuss for, did it for nearly 2 years surface clipping with buckle cips.
Day 1 downstairs lighting up stairs sockets Bonding Cooker etc.
Day 2 Down stairs sockets, upstairs lights, Day 3 CU testing and snagging, easy peasy 3 bed Semi, 2 per week. no worries me and a Mate, simples. Monday till Sat evening, isn't repetition a wonderful thing? Forgot to add the kitchen was bare brick and was dealt with by another Mate whilst the rewire was undertaken, chasing capping etc, half a day for a decent Mate, so no big deal. Another add, Bossman did all the paperwork, we just did quick IR test.

Last edited:

Reply to A complete house rewire where to start???? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net