Discuss New fuseboard fitted badly in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My friend had a new fuseboard fitted I went to test it .unreal

Attachments

• New fuseboard fitted badly D90FCB2B-2D28-4BA6-89F5-2E93F0D9C873 - EletriciansForums.net
    D90FCB2B-2D28-4BA6-89F5-2E93F0D9C873.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 147
  • New fuseboard fitted badly 208EF619-D8D7-4F4C-99FF-F95C193B7496 - EletriciansForums.net
    208EF619-D8D7-4F4C-99FF-F95C193B7496.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 147
  • New fuseboard fitted badly 2AE7D9A5-F224-4F74-809A-8720F0CC0875 - EletriciansForums.net
    2AE7D9A5-F224-4F74-809A-8720F0CC0875.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 142
  • New fuseboard fitted badly AAD74CA5-BED4-4194-9004-C46C330D1340 - EletriciansForums.net
    AAD74CA5-BED4-4194-9004-C46C330D1340.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 147
Was that all hanging like that, or have you pulled it out the trunking?

live?

wagos should be in an enclosure, not the trunking, but sometimes it’s unavoidable to joint and extend cables into a new board.

looks like finishing quick came above tidiness in this job

There's no excuse for it at all, I just can't understand how anybody could walk away from that thinking it was acceptable - but sadly many just couldn't care less - it's all about getting as much money as possible for doing as little as possible.

Difficult to really know without a photo further back showing more, but I'm thinking why was there not room to just install the new board where the old one was, and not need any junctions? Possibly moving the isolator a bit if needed.

This is just horrible

I would rip that entire monstrosity out and start again ( I would put the level wagos in my tool box)

the rest straight in the skip

wagos should be in an enclosure, not the trunking
@littlespark , is there a reg that prohibits connections in trunking? Sometimes I use a length of 100 X 50 plastic trunking in which I extend cables for board changes. It would be good to know if I'm getting this wrong.

I was under the impression that trunking is an enclosure, this is from definitions:

Cable trunking. A closed enclosure normally of rectangular cross-section, of which one side is removable or hinged, used for the protection of cables and for the accommodation of other electrical equipment.

@littlespark , is there a reg that prohibits connections in trunking? Sometimes I use a length of 100 X 50 plastic trunking in which I extend cables for board changes. It would be good to know if I'm getting this wrong.

I was under the impression that trunking is an enclosure, this is from definitions:

Cable trunking. A closed enclosure normally of rectangular cross-section, of which one side is removable or hinged, used for the protection of cables and for the accommodation of other electrical equipment.
Agree …trunking is an enclosure.

My friend had a new fuseboard fitted I went to test it .unreal
The consumer unit is a Skrewfix brand. Maybe a clue it's a DIY-type replacement, not a time-served sparks. The fixed cables should have been marshalled into an adaptable box with a DIN rail connector bar to extend the circuits to the CU. Utterly dismal workmanship which should be isolated, corrected and tested.

That installation is definitely a C1+
A picture of the inside of the CU would be good as it looks like the RFC's have been extended into the CU with a single 2.5 T&E

Trunking can generally be accessed by just pulling the lid off, is there anything in the UK Regs, as in France, that says to be in an enclosure only accessible by the use of a tool?
That is my understanding, so a length of ordinary plastic trunking is not suitable for joining cables, unless the joiners themselves are enclosed inside the trunking.by something that needs a tool to open it.

As with a few threads on here some of the story is missing.

Is this house owned by the friend and the agent manages it and have had the EICR and recommended and arranged the work?

Or is the friend a tenant of this property?

Why was the O.P asked to test it?

As bad as it appears to be I can't beleive that the cables and joints were left as pictured, were they all originally within the trunking?

Whoever did the work should not be paid, if the agent has already paid them on behalf of the friend, if the owner, then they should refund the costs.

If the friend is the owner they should find another electrician to re do the work correctly and also find a new agent to manage the property.

If the friend is a tenant they should notify the agent that they will be turning off the power and moving out into a hotel or similar untill the work had been done correctly by another electrican and will be expecting the agent to refund all costs incurred.

Trunking can generally be accessed by just pulling the lid off, is there anything in the UK Regs, as in France, that says to be in an enclosure only accessible by the use of a tool?
A ceiling rose cover, for example, can be also be removed without the use of a tool. Thus revealing live connections. I would be ok with a properly made joint in PVC trunking. In fact the lid is often hard to remove.

Reply to New fuseboard fitted badly in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock