Discuss New fuseboard fitted badly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's a dog's dinner certainly, but, electrically speaking the only real things I'm seeing are crowding/grouping issues, wrong size terminations for the 6mm and some missing cpc sleeve. For a handful quid more this could have been done properly in a DIN rail dappy box with DIN joiners.

EDIT - just had a second look - have they made an RFC off into a lollipop??

As usual it looks like someone has spent more time creating a crap looking job with issues than they would have creating a half decent one with none.

Is the reason the wider C.U has been mounted lower, creating the need for some of the joints, because it wouldn't fit up against the socket / FCU / switch or( ?) on the left or were they thinking they needed to comply with the mounted height?

But is that not what you are paid for, to do things perfectly/correctly, would you accept that on a half re-sprayed car?

Often in domestics you are paid to do a job as safely and efficiently as the budget allows

I wish every customer could afford a rolls Royce job with an unlimited budget but in reality some jobs you have to simply do with the time and budget you are afforded

Often in domestics you are paid to do a job as safely and efficiently as the budget allows

I wish every customer could afford a rolls Royce job with an unlimited budget but in reality some jobs you have to simply do with the time and budget you are afforded
There's a degree of truth in this, but often the difference in cost between a pig's ear like this and a first class job is almost nothing.

There's a degree of truth in this, but often the difference in cost between a pig's ear like this and a first class job is almost nothing.
oh I agree , £65 on a din box and some decent din connectors and the job could have been so much neater

but if the original sparks quoted low to begin with they probably didn’t have £65 to Spend on the proper gear so throw up some trunking and lashed in som3 wagos

im not forgiving this dogs ear badgers claw abomination of a job but the world isn’t perfect

as I said , rip out and start again

The consumer unit is a Skrewfix brand. Maybe a clue it's a DIY-type replacement, not a time-served sparks. The fixed cables should have been marshalled into an adaptable box with a DIN rail connector bar to extend the circuits to the CU. Utterly dismal workmanship which should be isolated, corrected and tested.

Used Chint consumer units many times before bought from an electrical wholesalers, not Screwfix, and find them to be decent.

The live and neutrals connecting the RCDs together and to the neutral bars are a solid conductor and not flexible which I much prefer.

The pre manufactured connections of flexible cores inside a new DB which show a lot of copper at the neutral bar connection are one of my pet peeves.

134.1.1 & 510.3 & 526.203 - Bet Wago haven't approved the product for such use
526.3.vi - Not MF in the current state
Not sure any of wagos lever connections can be used in MF situations only the push fits I believe, that situation wouldn’t need to be MF anyways would it? As the connection is easily accessible

oh I agree , £65 on a din box and some decent din connectors and the job could have been so much neater
I agree... but I suspect that unless he had a suitable box/din rail etc. on the van... it would also have meant a trip to the wholesalers ? That might be an hour or so round trip... that's an hour of lost time... and maybe an hour late for his tea/a pint ?
I used to work with a guy who had to be back home at 5:30pm everyday... otherwise his missus would get extremely irate (and usually blame me !!).

Just seen these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTRICALVER...tor-Terminals/dp/B08PCRXXJT/ref=sr_1_32_sspa? and these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MFBZ...d_rd_w=sEMGT&pf_rd_p=6d92f084-6b53-4a72-8a21- I know when I first put the three core in line version on the forum I got all sorts of stick, so this is just for information I am not condoning them in any way or guaranteeing their use in any shape or form, these where the ones I got stick for: In Line Spring Lever Connectors 3 Pole 32A - https://www.toolstation.com/in-line-spring-lever-connectors/p78346

Last edited:
Just seen these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTRICALVER...tor-Terminals/dp/B08PCRXXJT/ref=sr_1_32_sspa? and these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08MFBZ...d_rd_w=sEMGT&pf_rd_p=6d92f084-6b53-4a72-8a21- I know when I first put the three core in line version on the forum I got all sorts of stick, so this is just for information I am not condoning them in any way or guaranteeing their use in any shape or form, these where the ones I got stick for: In Line Spring Lever Connectors 3 Pole 32A - https://www.toolstation.com/in-line-spring-lever-connectors/p78346

Tel likes the third item.

Not sure any of wagos lever connections can be used in MF situations only the push fits I believe, that situation wouldn’t need to be MF anyways would it? As the connection is easily accessible
Only just learnt that wago is pronounced "var-go" and not "way-go"... definitely gonna stick with saying "way-go" now though... I've come too far to change my pronunciation of it!

Used Chint consumer units many times before bought from an electrical wholesalers, not Screwfix, and find them to be decent.

The live and neutrals connecting the RCDs together and to the neutral bars are a solid conductor and not flexible which I much prefer.

The pre manufactured connections of flexible cores inside a new DB which show a lot of copper at the neutral bar connection are one of my pet peeves.
Even Hager are guilty of that one. Obviously less of an issue with all RCBO boards now. Though it's the connections to the top of the RCD that are more of an issue - since in most cases the neutral bars aren't insulated anyway? (I think Chint do on some of their boards at least - and maybe Schneider too?)

The Amazon ones look interesting - wonder what documentation there is to back up that they meet any standards though - are they copies of more well known brands?

Often seems like sometimes the Chinese can iterate and develop new and interesting ideas much quicker than anyone else - even if they do cut corners to do so sometimes... Just wish the bigger companies did the same.

The last ones I have a bag of I admit and would happily use them in the right situation (probably not in a hidden MF junction box to be fair).

Reply to New fuseboard fitted badly in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net