Discuss A gas question (sorry) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Apologies that this is a plumbing question, but I'm sure there will be people here who can answer this.

Working in a house today that is in the middle of a total refurb (gutted, rewired, replumbed, etc).
The gas supply is currently disconnected inside the house (in the hall), about 2m after the meter & shut-off valve.
This pipe end from the meter is open, if you opened the shut-off valve (under the stairs), you will fill the hall with gas.

Edit: for clarity, I've not opened the valve, I just supect gas will escape!

Now I never leave a cable with bare ends that can be energised e.g. accidentally by a switch, circuit breaker, etc.
I'd have thought it unacceptable to leave a gas pipe like this, perhaps it is even against some gas regs?

Last edited:
From the legislation here:- The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/part/B/made

"General safety precautions

6.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting in such a manner that gas could be released unless steps are taken to prevent the gas so released constituting a danger to any person.

(2) No person carrying out work in relation to a gas fitting shall leave the fitting unattended unless every incomplete gasway has been sealed with the appropriate fitting or the gas fitting is otherwise safe.

(3) Any person who disconnects a gas fitting shall, with the appropriate fitting, seal off every outlet of every pipe to which it was connected. "

Apologies that this is a plumbing question, but I'm sure there will be people here who can answer this.

Working in a house today that is in the middle of a total refurb (gutted, rewired, replumbed, etc).
The gas supply is currently disconnected inside the house (in the hall), about 2m after the meter & shut-off valve.
This pipe end from the meter is open, if you opened the shut-off valve (under the stairs), you will fill the hall with gas.

Now I never leave a cable with bare ends that can be energised e.g. accidentally by a switch, circuit breaker, etc.
I'd have thought it unacceptable to leave a gas pipe like this, perhaps it is even against some gas regs?
That’s dangerous it’s needs a shut off valve that can be locked out

So what are you going to do about it? Walk off the job? Report them? Fall out with the plumber?

Seriously interested, not stirring.

Thanks for the replies confirming it appears dangerous.
I don't know if there is some internal cap in the pipework e.g. at the meter or not.

I've asked the owner to get this checked urgently.
And no, I'm not stupid enough to turn the gas on and see if the hall fills up with gas!

Not the way I read it (it says IF) and I doubt he's stupid enough to have turned the gas on.

Thanks for the replies confirming it appears dangerous.
I don't know if there is some internal cap in the pipework e.g. at the meter or not.

I've asked the owner to get this checked urgently.
And no, I'm not stupid enough to turn the gas on and see if the hall fills up with gas!
Well lets hope there is a disc in the inlet or outlet pipe, however this pipe is still open ended because it is still connected to live supply and needs to be capped off.

Years ago i had no worries working with gas installations on boats. gas cylinder usually in a vented outside locker, flexible rubber-type pipe from regulator to copper pipe, 2 jubilee clips...copper pipe throughout the boat to the cooker, short length of rubber pipe to connect the cooker to the copper pipe. Always checked for tightness, and cylinder turned off when not in use. Nowadays their are so many regs for such installations, despite the minuscule number of "incidents".
When changing the gas cylinder I used a swan to check for leaks...

Years ago i had no worries working with gas installations on boats. gas cylinder usually in a vented outside locker, flexible rubber-type pipe from regulator to copper pipe, 2 jubilee clips...copper pipe throughout the boat to the cooker, short length of rubber pipe to connect the cooker to the copper pipe. Always checked for tightness, and cylinder turned off when not in use. Nowadays their are so many regs for such installations, despite the minuscule number of "incidents".
When changing the gas cylinder I used a swan to check for leaks...
swan???as in like a canary in the mine to see if it dies from gas???

swan???as in like a canary in the mine to see if it dies from gas???
I find that hard to swallow… If they didn’t thrush into things, they wouldn’t look like a --- so much.
I’m sure it’s ill- eagle anyway, however hawk-ward it is to be done properly.
As long as no one was puffin away on a ciggie nearby, they’ll think it safe.

I find that hard to swallow… If they didn’t thrush into things, they wouldn’t look like a --- so much.
I’m sure it’s ill- eagle anyway, however hawk-ward it is to be done properly.
As long as no one was puffin away on a ciggie nearby, they’ll think it safe.

I'm glad I've had a couple of beers.

Reply to A gas question (sorry) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net