Discuss A little help please? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I was hoping for a little guidance from you all if you wouldnt mind helping?

Im replacing a light fixing in my kitchen and Im concerned that the new light only has live and neutral connectors, ommitting the earth contact. I have all 3 coming through the ceiling though. I cant see any double insulating markings on the light fixing so Im a little concerned.

Is this unsafe to use? The fixing is made of metal so my gut is telling me its dodgy.

Thank you for helping.

Gordon.

20180603_132524.jpg

Welcome to the forum mate.
Where did you buy the light from?

Good afternoon all,

I was hoping for a little guidance from you all if you wouldnt mind helping?

Im replacing a light fixing in my kitchen and Im concerned that the new light only has live and neutral connectors, ommitting the earth contact. I have all 3 coming through the ceiling though. I cant see any double insulating markings on the light fixing so Im a little concerned.

Is this unsafe to use? The fixing is made of metal so my gut is telling me its dodgy.

Thank you for helping.

Gordon.

View attachment 42595

What do the instructions say regarding earthing? It could be classed as double insulated. Maybe post the instructions on here.

What do the instructions say regarding earthing? It could be classed as double insulated. Maybe post the instructions on here.

I wonder what the instructions say about attaching the chrome ceiling rose bit, to the fixing bracket? Or is it time I opened a bottle of bear and put my glasses on :confused:

I wonder what the instructions say about attaching the chrome ceiling rose bit, to the fixing bracket? Or is it time I opened a bottle of bear and put my glasses on :confused:
Already opened my Bottle, Ant the lampholder is not connected in any way the the ceiling fitting apart from the flex lassing through it, this should be earthed imo.

Some thing does not seem right from that picture, it looks like someone got some parts from old lighting fittings and created that. Not saying that it is but that fitting is not designed to be earthed if it came like that from a reputable shop. Still looks like a dodgy fitting, silver base with white flex, don't think I have ever seen it.

Already opened my Bottle, Ant the lampholder is not connected in any way the the ceiling fitting apart from the flex lassing through it, this should be earthed imo.
There should be an earth terminal on it somewhere or signs where it has broken off.

What does that have to do with the question?

Last edited:
I took one of those exact fitting from my daughter's flat recently. The braided flex covering is similar to heat sleeving, and the white flex passes through a white plastic or nylon ferrule in the centre hole, so it's probably ok'ish, but honestly, wouldn't it have been better all round to have an earth? I agree with you all on that.

Hi all, thanks for the help. I actually bought 2 of these and both are the same.

Interestingly enough....both have an odd discolouration inside where maybe there was an earth contact? (see piccy).

The cord is deffo the same feel as an iron cord which is bizarre. Purchased online from Iconic Lights....so a reputable place I would assume.

Can I get away with attaching the earth cable to one of the screws or should I return them?

G

20180603_171737.jpg

20180603_171726.jpg

Hi all, thanks for the help. I actually bought 2 of these and both are the same.

Interestingly enough....both have an odd discolouration inside where maybe there was an earth contact? (see piccy).

The cord is deffo the same feel as an iron cord which is bizarre. Purchased online from Iconic Lights....so a reputable place I would assume.

Can I get away with attaching the earth cable to one of the screws or should I return them?

G

View attachment 42601

Ah, that's a better picture! Just a decorative covering on a pendant fitting, with the flex passing through a hole in the decorative metal bezel/rose with an insulating spacer/cord grip...
I'd still want an earth on there, but so many fittings out there make do like that.

Reply to A little help please? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net