Discuss A little help please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

countyblue

Hi, Ive just bought my first house and tonight was the first time a small problem occurred.

I'll tell you the background: Yesterday, me and my brother in law were looking at the fuse box and noticed the fuse switch labelled 'lights' had a 5 amp fuse which was burnt out and had alot of fuse wire around it. We bought a new 5 amp fuse yesterday but tonight all the lights went out?

I've put tin foil around it for temporary measure as I havent got fuse wire.

Any ideas on what may have caused the lights to go out??

Thanks in advance

A confused new house owner

Err is this wind up? Turn off central heating, you won't need. Your house may catch fire.
If the lights remained on after tin-foil repair it is not a dead short, unless a particular light was switched off and the fault was on the switched side.

Turn on all lights in the house for a short while, if the circuit remains operational it is not a dead short if it is, you may hear a loud bang, and the lights will go off.

Very likely overload, it needs fixing. Replace tin-foil with a real fuse asap.

It could also be, someone has tapped off lighting circuit for a socket, heater, water heater etc etc.

I would remove fuse urgently. Try and get by with table lamps until sorted

:eek: tin foil!! na
looking for big trouble, put some foil around a fuse protecting a posibbly faulty circuit.
could be a weak fuse or could be a faulty connection. there are lots of could be's.
have you put any lights up in this new house of yours?

I have 4 wall lights with 5 very small lights in them. I had to replace 5 of these lightbulbs yesterday because they had gone. I also replaced the old fuse in the Lights 'fuse holder' because it was black and had fuse wire around it, so thought buying a new fuse would make sense.

Now tonight the lights all went out all over the house apart from the spotlights above my dining table??

This is a a house I only bought in April so dont know much history on the wiring if im honest.

P.s.

Ive now removed the fuse and tin foil......

I have 4 wall lights with 5 very small lights in them. I had to replace 5 of these lightbulbs yesterday because they had gone. I also replaced the old fuse in the Lights 'fuse holder' because it was black and had fuse wire around it, so thought buying a new fuse would make sense.

Now tonight the lights all went out all over the house apart from the spotlights above my dining table??

This is a a house I only bought in April so dont know much history on the wiring if im honest.

P.s.

Ive now removed the fuse and tin foil......

Hi
Its a very easy problem to fix and the fact that you dont know how to do it ,tells me you need to get hold of an electrician asap;)

I agree with Rum - get someone in to do a PIR. There are probably a few more issues on your installation that may need attention too. Don't look for a quick fix and the cheapest route - pay the money and get it sorted properly.

I agree with Rum - get someone in to do a PIR. There are probably a few more issues on your installation that may need attention too. Don't look for a quick fix and the cheapest route - pay the money and get it sorted properly.

Freekin ell Cirrus r you felling ok:p

I also agree with Rum, as a side thought if it turns out the wiring is dodgy at the point the house was sold does this mean the new owner can bill the old one for cost of repair?

I doubt the new owner can bill the old, unless a fraudulent survey. Bought as seen?

Reply to A little help please in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock