Discuss A little introduction. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone, My names Ben, I am 30 years old and I live in a small town called Darwen which is in Lancashire. I have an interest in electrical work and have an NVQ Level 2 in Electrical installation. I am however looking to gain more experience in the industry as a sparks mate/improver and maybe go back to college at some point. I know its not easy as my site experience is pretty limited, I do have bits of site experience but nothing solid. I often find myself in a catch 22 type situation, i.e. firms want more experienced people, but how are you meant to gain experience in the first place iff you arent really given a chance etc. I guess its a bit of luck and sometimes who you know. I did however work as a sparks mate for a few months before xmas but was no longer needed in the new year. Anyhow I am looking forward to getting involved on the forum.

Kind Regards
Ben Wilson

Hi Ben. Welcome to the forum mate.
Oh... Happy New Year to you as well..

Hiya! yeh it is difficult to get work no doubt. Myself my work comes in like busses, all or none at all so it's hard to employ someone. Tried advertising at all your local wholesalers?

Welcome,dude,
You may need to make a bit of luck,too,so don't be afraid of describing your skills or what you are best at,to any prospective employer.

Also,you can do as much learning,at home,if you can.
Books are knowledge-and knowledge is power :)

What testing gear have you got? Maybe investing in some kit,then playing with it till it hurts? This will give you the knowledge,and,as important,the confidence,when moving on to any additional learning,where you will have a head start.

Welcome,dude,
You may need to make a bit of luck,too,so don't be afraid of describing your skills or what you are best at,to any prospective employer.

Also,you can do as much learning,at home,if you can.
Books are knowledge-and knowledge is power :)

What testing gear have you got? Maybe investing in some kit,then playing with it till it hurts? This will give you the knowledge,and,as important,the confidence,when moving on to any additional learning,where you will have a head start.
True mate, you do have to make your own luck at the best of times. I've only got a voltage tester and a socket tester, I don't actually own a meter although I have used them before. Got my own tools, could do with getting myself a decent drill though. Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.

Great,so you are OK with safe isolation,etc,why not get yourself a cheaper MFT? A very usable machine,could be had for very reasonable money,calibration not being as vital as functionality.

With an on site guide,and a couple of test/inspect books,you could get to grip with the fundamentals - but in your own time.

This is all i did,admittedly at an embarrassingly young age:confused: and it gave me a massive advantage. You should get to the stage where the various MFT settings are second nature,and you can estimate a possible reading,before it is taken,therefore realising any ongoing problems.

Also,at your leisure,you can instigate your own,deliberate faults,and see the test results that correspond. In short,if you are serious about moving forward technically,don't be worried about spending,the cost of an average mobile phone,to gain the most important,head start:)

It is not rocket science,well,unless you are fitting conduit at a NASA research lab...It is basic construction techniques,basic science,coupled with a full understanding of the principles involved,of the equipment installed. Nothing more.

Set a goal for 2018,and maybe this forum could play a small part in that :cool:

firms want more experienced people, but how are you meant to gain experience in the first place iff you arent really given a chance etc. I guess its a bit of luck and sometimes who you know.Ben Wilson
I know the feeling! I self-funded my courses (totalling over Ā£8000) and after qualifying, it seemed that many companies only wanted experienced electricians, instead of qualified ones. This lead to me starting my own (unsuccessful) company, then later back-tracking to finding employment again.
It's all about how you convey your strengths compared to others!!!

Experienced-Electricians
In my experience the older (experienced) electricians are often not up-to-date with the current regulations, leading to a reluctance in self-development and continued education, while giving the excuse that they're 'time-served'. In practice, while these people are very efficient & experienced electricians, they unfortunately produce inadequate and un-compliant work which is based on old / out-dated regulations.

Newly-Qualified Electricians
Therefore recently-qualified electricians are likely a better option for employers because they are up-to-date with the current regulations, without any bad-habits; ready to be 'moulded' into the perfect employee who follows the companies standards.

Message to Employers
With this said, you must focus on conveying this message to any potential employer, explaining and convincing them that you're a superior than a 'time-served' electrician. This is exactly how I gained a position at an established company, by simply and respectfully explaining this message.

Note Regarding Experienced (Older) Electricians
While many 'time-served' electricians that I have personally encountered are reluctant to continue self-development or further education and resulting in un-compliant work, this is not be true for all. In fact, there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from such people, with invaluable tips & tricks which have been perfected over many years. It's important to note that 'time-served' electricians are usually keen to help those who are genuinely enthusiastic and humble in their work, leading to them becoming a far better and highly trusted colleague compared to other newly-qualified electricians who are simply hungry for money and success. Be respectful and reasonable while taking note of their advice, checking their accuracy in private, and discussing any discrepancies without undermining their integrity.

Short Answer
  • Make sure you emphasise that you're new to the trade and therefore up to date with current regulations, without bad-habits.
  • Listen to the 'time-served' (older) electricians who can pass on huge amounts of information, tips & tricks, and other advice; while also double-checking their advice, albeit respectfully.
  • Create a continued-personal-development document, which is used to plan and record further-education outside of college / university; which proves that you're up-to-date with current regulations and revise them regularly, focusing on your weaknesses to progress your knowledge. Competency schemes like to see this.
  • Set yourself 'SMART' objectives (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely) to ensure you achieve you're goals. HOWEVER, if for some reason you don't achieve your goal, DON'T GIVE UP. Look back at the progress you've made and be proud! Forgive yourself for your mistake (remember that you're still making progress) and therefore focus your efforts on beating your previous record.

firms want more experienced people, but how are you meant to gain experience in the first place iff you arent really given a chance etc. I guess its a bit of luck and sometimes who you know.Ben Wilson
I know the feeling! I self-funded my courses (totalling over Ā£8000) and after qualifying, it seemed that many companies only wanted experienced electricians, instead of qualified ones. This lead to me starting my own (unsuccessful) company, then later back-tracking to finding employment again.
It's all about how you convey your strengths compared to others!!!

Experienced-Electricians
In my experience the older (experienced) electricians are often not up-to-date with the current regulations, leading to a reluctance in self-development and continued education, while giving the excuse that they're 'time-served'. In practice, while these people are very efficient & experienced electricians, they unfortunately produce inadequate and un-compliant work which is based on old / out-dated regulations.

Newly-Qualified Electricians
Therefore recently-qualified electricians are likely a better option for employers because they are up-to-date with the current regulations, without any bad-habits; ready to be 'moulded' into the perfect employee who follows the companies standards.

Message to Employers
With this said, you must focus on conveying this message to any potential employer, explaining and convincing them that you're a superior than a 'time-served' electrician. This is exactly how I gained a position at an established company, by simply and respectfully explaining this message.

Note Regarding Experienced (Older) Electricians
While many 'time-served' electricians that I have personally encountered are reluctant to continue self-development or further education and resulting in un-compliant work, this is not be true for all. In fact, there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from such people, with invaluable tips & tricks which have been perfected over many years. It's important to note that 'time-served' electricians are usually keen to help those who are genuinely enthusiastic and humble in their work, leading to them becoming a far better and highly trusted colleague compared to other newly-qualified electricians who are simply hungry for money and success. Be respectful and reasonable while taking note of their advice, checking their accuracy in private, and discussing any discrepancies without undermining their integrity.

Short Answer
  • Make sure you emphasise that you're new to the trade and therefore up to date with current regulations, without bad-habits.
  • Listen to the 'time-served' (older) electricians who can pass on huge amounts of information, tips & tricks, and other advice; while also double-checking their advice, albeit respectfully.
  • Create a continued-personal-development document, which is used to plan and record further-education outside of college / university; which proves that you're up-to-date with current regulations and revise them regularly, focusing on your weaknesses to progress your knowledge. Competency schemes like to see this.
  • Set yourself 'SMART' objectives (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely) to ensure you achieve you're goals. HOWEVER, if for some reason you don't achieve your goal, DON'T GIVE UP. Look back at the progress you've made and be proud! Forgive yourself for your mistake (remember that you're still making progress) and therefore focus your efforts on beating your previous record.

Reply to A little introduction. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net