Discuss A new world record, well for me in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

trev

Got a call a couple of days ago to a boiler which had been looked at by a gas guy who advised of an earth fault and that he had isolated it. So I bowled up today, there was a VOELCB right by the BS3036 CU which had excessive charring on it, some fuse carriers were crumbling others were cracked and in several bits. No cover for the fuses of course and the carcass was falling apart, the only saving grace was that it was up a height.
Obviously alarm bells are ringing quite loud so I looked a bit further, not a scrap of bonding anywhere in the place IP ratings severely compromised so I thought lets get the test gear out, IR really low RFC continuity non existent etc etc. The owner of the place turns up and so I start talking to him about a rewire which he told me to prep a price for, I thought now is a good time to check the EFLI, now it's a TT so I expected something fairly high but not as high as 1356 ohms.
It's a new record for me guys but I'm sure one of you can beat it

Only about circa 500 and odd ohms for me,
This one had no rod and no bonding, I think it was reading through the CPC via the supply cable to the combi boiler.

Iam sure I will come across a higher one sooner or later, lol

1061 ohms is my best so far, can't beat 1356 ohms, sounds like you are onto a fun job there!

Thing is Richard I know for a fact with a bit of work and some big fat rods I can get that way way below 50 ohms and that'll be stable so that's not the problem. I just did some rough sums and the we're looking at £2.5k ish for the rewire which I'm pretty sure my client won't go for, I've done an EDN because what I found scared me but he has tenants in there and he's already ringing me and asking can I not just change the CU and dig into the existing problems and put them right as I find them.
I've got a feeling this client is going to be a total pain in the bum.

If the customer is a landlord and the property is rented i would cut him no slack whatsoever lol.
The fact the install still has an veolcb suggests its as old as the dinosaurs and has simply come to the end of its useful life.
What type of cables Trev ?

It's all T&E as far as I've seen Biff but the IRs were terrible and it's all just crap. I reckon there's been some DIY over the years by the standard of it, no CPCs sleeved anywhere, some CPCs missing etc etc you know how it goes.
He's getting no slack from me whatsoever mate, he'll get my price Monday or Tuesday if he wants to go ahead then fine. If not he can find a cowboy. Either way I don't mind:)

and i'd make sure the quote was at least 3K. he'll get that back in 9 months rent anyway.

it's a TT so I expected something fairly high but not as high as 1356 ohms.

If we go by what others have clearly stated here on the forum, all you need to do is just bung an RCD on it and the jobs a good-un ...Your allowed 1766 ohms for a 30mA Rcd don't you know!! LOL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
with ref. to all the TT posts that have been flying around lately, i've decided to perform an experiment. we are built on sand. don't know how deep it is, but i'm going to try for a sub 10 ohm Ra. if i go deep enough and hit oil, that will be a bonus.

think eng54 was being sarcastic, there. i'm going to bang in rods till i hit bedrock, pi$$ on ot , and see if i can get a TN equivalent reading.

Well I went round to see Mr Singh tonight to talk about his rewire, I outlined the benefits that the modern technology I was planning to install and how it would offer a greater degree of protection to his property and tenants and how the works would be carried out by time served tradesmen with many years experience. I then pointed out how it would be proven that the work would comply with all current regulations and be certified and made good afterwards so that all he has to do is run around with a roller and some magnolia paint.
At this point he was paying attention, then he asked how much and went very pale when he got the answer.
I don't think I've pulled this rewire

Well I went round to see Mr Singh tonight to talk about his rewire, I outlined the benefits that the modern technology I was planning to install and how it would offer a greater degree of protection to his property and tenants and how the works would be carried out by time served tradesmen with many years experience. I then pointed out how it would be proven that the work would comply with all current regulations and be certified and made good afterwards so that all he has to do is run around with a roller and some magnolia paint.
At this point he was paying attention, then he asked how much and went very pale when he got the answer.
I don't think I've pulled this rewire

You can see his point. I bet he assumed it would take you a couple of days tops @ £7 per hour, with maybe £50 worth of gear needed. :)

Reply to A new world record, well for me in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock