Discuss A Newbie Question about Circuit-Breakers - hi! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fishtank

Hello. I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm actually trying to answer a question about why it is that I need to use an additional ("plug in") circuit-breaker for my lawnmower when all of my main sockets are hard-wired plugs that are rooted to a mains circuit-breaker, anyway? It's nice to be here. Thanks. Owen.

If the sockets are fed through an RCD in the CU there is no point whatsoever in using an additional RCD plug in device......however not all installations have RCD protection to socket circuits,so check or get it checked if you are not sure.

If the sockets are fed through an RCD in the CU there is no point whatsoever in using an additional RCD plug in device......however not all installations have RCD protection to socket circuits,so check or get it checked if you are not sure.

What is a CU? Central Unit? I'm not technical - I know that whenever the lights or toaster goes we need to flick the trip switches to reset things...

CU - consumer unit. The electrical box with the circuit breakers inside.

This one has RCD protection built in so the additionalplug-in breaker isn't needed;
A Newbie Question about Circuit-Breakers - hi! images - EletriciansForums.net

This one has no RCD so the additional unit would be a safer option
A Newbie Question about Circuit-Breakers - hi! images2 - EletriciansForums.net

I like the picture of your dog. :thinking:

My CU definitely looks like the one with RCD protection but what specifically is it that I should look for...the red switches of the right?? Presumably it will say on a sticker next to the trigger whether it's RCD? I will look tomorrow and get back in touch...and thanks for those pictures

The red switch n the right is exactly that, just a red switch. You need to be looking for a circuit breaker or two circuit breakers with a test button that's supposed to get pressed every month or two to check it's still working. In the first picture you can see them with their yellow test buttons.

Reply to A Newbie Question about Circuit-Breakers - hi! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock