Discuss a puzzler can anyone explain it ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was at a house tonight that has 15 GU10 led fittings with 1.2W lights.
They are in 3 rows of 5 the 2 outside rows are on together and switched from 1 end and work fine.
The middle row are 2 way switched but when switched off always have a slight glow !
Any one have any ideas why ? I have changed the bulbs around and nothing changes checked the
switches and they are all perfect but still only the middle row glow any ideas guys ?
I changed the bulbs to 1.3W ones tonight and it has stopped them glowing but I still cant explain
why the 1.2W ones glow and would like to find a reason for future reference ?
They were all from Wicks's except for the 1.3W's they were from B&Q just in case anyone else has
had similar problem.

induced voltage in the 2 way switching. fitting a snubber usually cures the problem.

Deja Vu...... !! ;)

generally a capacitor, or a combination of resistor and capacitor.

I have had the same issue at a job that I did a week or so ago.

I reported it to the supplier and as tel says it will only happen in the 2-way controlled areas and there is currently being developed an identical looking lamp that has a capacitor installed I believe that will cure the issue.

CEF are sorting it out for me and they have all of the information you will require.

What is a snubber?
Is it some sort of gizmo that is manufactured specifically for this, or is it something like a resistor you install yourself?

take a neon out of an old fused spur and use that, wire it in (across the load) somewhere out of sight. Problem solved!

I reported it to the supplier and as tel says it will only happen in the 2-way controlled areas and there is currently being developed an identical looking lamp that has a capacitor installed I believe that will cure the issue.

is the company either collingwood or halers?

i think theakstons are working on the problem. target is 9 pints , then the lights go out.

I usually use a 240kΩ wired across the load.
I find this works with CFLs as well.
I was just wondering if someone had now started manufacturing something that may be a little more robust.

Reply to a puzzler can anyone explain it ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net