Discuss A question about how current travels through the real earth? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When testing Ze on a TT the only connection between the line and the earth rod is the actual ground.

When you do a Ze is it actually sending a small current through the actual ground from the earth rod at the house to the earth rod at the transformer?

Also, related to the above, I have 2 separate garden light circuits. The customer complained of RCD tripping. The garden lights have junction boxes buried in the ground that lead on to the next light. These Jb's are full of water hence the tripping (IR results 0.006Mohms N-E).

With regards the above paragraph I am getting 0.15Mohms between the Neutrals of both separate garden light circuits (also the earths and line's but you would expect that as light bulbs are in and 0.006Mohms N-E). This is with all the conductors completely isolated, is this again because the separate circuits have a link via the actual ground (due to all the water in the buried JB's)?

It’s sorcery and witch craft, that and physics.
Due to the presence of water, salts and minerals the earth is a very good conductor.
Also it stands to reason as when you receive an electric shock you complete the circuit via the ground by the potential difference.

Last edited:
It’s sorcery and witch craft, that and physics.
Due to the presence of water, salts and minerals the earth is a very good conductor.
Also it stands to reason as when you receive an electric shock you complete the circuit via the ground by the potential difference.
I want to know how I can still get a belt when on my supposedly insulated step ladders made from glass fibre? :)

I want to know how I can still get a belt when on my supposedly insulated step ladders made from glass fibre? :)
I’ve never tested to see how well insulated they are personally or by experience.
Was your body in contact with anything else?

If made of true glass fibre then the resistance should be of such magnitude that a shock would be almost impossible. Was it a damp day? Were they good quality ladders or ebay specials?

It was a rhetorical question in jest.
However, just to satisfy, I may give it a go later after a few ciders, see if I report back :)
try jumping upand down on the fibreglass steps. if you get it right... 50 times a second, and in harmony, your feet should only touch the steps when the supply sine wave is at 0v. then you'll feel nothing except aching feet.

When testing Ze on a TT the only connection between the line and the earth rod is the actual ground.

When you do a Ze is it actually sending a small current through the actual ground from the earth rod at the house to the earth rod at the transformer?

Also, related to the above, I have 2 separate garden light circuits. The customer complained of RCD tripping. The garden lights have junction boxes buried in the ground that lead on to the next light. These Jb's are full of water hence the tripping (IR results 0.006Mohms N-E).

With regards the above paragraph I am getting 0.15Mohms between the Neutrals of both separate garden light circuits (also the earths and line's but you would expect that as light bulbs are in and 0.006Mohms N-E). This is with all the conductors completely isolated, is this again because the separate circuits have a link via the actual ground (due to all the water in the buried JB's)?
As Wilko said: yes, and (probably) yes.

I had an issue with low insulation resistance on a circuit I was going to alter - the IR reading wasn't low enough to trip the RCD, but was below the minimum so I had to find the cause and rectify before doing any work.

I found it fairly quickly on an old pond pump. The slightly strange thing was that the exterior socket it was plugged in to wasn't even wired up correctly - the earth had been terminated at the (pointless) earth terminal in the plastic casing, rather than the earth terminal of the socket:

A question about how current travels through the real earth? DSC_1466 copy.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

So the leakage was between one of the live conductors (don't know which, and I don't care) and the actual earth, then to the installation earth via the lead sheath of the incoming supply (TN-S, though I suspect the supply infrastructure was PME). Intrigued, I did an insulation resistance test between live and... well, I just poked by test probe in the ground.

Here's the video:

Hi- I think its "possibly" for the first part and "yes" for the second

Although you have a TT earth system it may not be so for the whole of the supply line
If its a TT derived from a Tnc-s supply then the current may get back to the star point via Pme rods whilst on its way back home

Re Current flowing through the actual earth

When I was at college it was explained to us like this;

"Everything is a conductor, an insulating material is a poor conductor but still a conductor,

Soil, water, minerals etc are poor conductors

The earth is basically millions of poor conductors in parallel resulting in the earth being a conductor which can have a low enough resistance to be used as a return path"

The type of current is also important.
AC and DC results are different over time !
(For AC I like to think of lots of capacitors ,rather than weak resistors)...
__Elektrickery__ no weaseling out of it (Aunt Sally)

Yes, although as Des says, there can be multiple paths from the mass of earth back into the distribution system cable as well as the substation earth, via bonded services on TN installations, both TN-S and TN-C-S.

an insulating material is a poor conductor but still a conductor,

Although theoretically true, resistivity is a property that has a wider variation than almost anything in human experience. The conductivity of Teflon is 100000000000000000000000000000000 times lower than that of copper, so it is a little misleading to call it 'still a conductor', when we can use materials 10000000000 times more conductive as insulators. Soil is much closer to copper than to teflon, so that does qualify as reasonably conductive given the rather large cross sectional area available.

Reply to A question about how current travels through the real earth? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock