Discuss A question about reading electricity meters? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steven Brooks

Hi friends,

I am in a rental property and the main electricity meter supplies two properties. An additional meter reads the consumption for the second property. However the main meter has on it 500Imp/KWH but the meter for the second property has on it 1000Imp/KWH. I am assuming I can't just subtract one from the other to get the usage for each property. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks and Regards,
Steven

Hi Steven, no one else had replied so looks I'm in thr frame.
electricity meters all register the usage in KWH which gives a reading in kilowatts, all meter makes tend to use impulses per kilowatt.
In your case eg 500imp/kwh, this is the little red light that flashes 500 times per KWH. It matters not how many times each meter flashes as the reading they display is the part you take note of.
Yes you can subtract one from the other to get the usage but be aware that the first part (normally 225 units) is charged at a higher rate than the following units so this figure would have to be charged by you to the tennant pro rata as it would be illegal to charge more than the chargable rate for fuel taking into account reasonable collection charges. more information can be obtained from the goverment website for rented properties.
Hope this helps you.

Reply to A question about reading electricity meters? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock