Discuss A question about torque screwdrivers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hager provide a sticky label for the torque setting requirements for their new panels, anyone know where you can get hold of these label's for an existing panel.

I can't find anywhere you can get them, they announce proudly on Twitter that they supply them with their new boards, but don't tell you where you can get them to retro fit existing boards.

Don't know whether this is any good. You could print it off and make labels...if it is.

Attachments

• TORQUE_SETTINGS.PDF
    105.9 KB · Views: 13
Thanks ipf, but I thought that Hager would make the yellow sticky available, I suppose I will just have to use my new Brother E550W instead. :eek: ;) Just bought some yellow tape so it will have to do.

Thanks ipf, but I thought that Hager would make the yellow sticky available, I suppose I will just have to use my new Brother E550W instead. :eek: ;) Just bought some yellow tape so it will have to do.

Think about the font colour, when using coloured labels. Black is best with yellow, whereas white is best with green labels IMO.

I haven't got a full handle on the E550W as yet, but I don't think you can change the colour of the font from the machine, as I believe it's a Thermal process that prints onto the tape and is black only.

I haven't got a full handle on the E550W as yet, but I don't think you can change the colour of the font from the machine, as I believe it's a Thermal process that prints onto the tape and is black only.
You buy one colour tape and what font colour. Yellow label and white font, isn’t very clear.

Haven't seen any other colour font tape on offer for that machine, can you provide a link?
Brother do a huge range of tapes and colours, and widths as well. You can also get ribbon, heat shrink, iron on labels etc etc.

Back when I bought mine originally (I think it's the P-touch 7600 but would need to double check) the replica tapes etc left a lot to be desired, but bought a few recently and the quality of the replica tapes are very good, I think if used in normal conditions they would more than do the job. If for harsh environments, outdoors, under water, in freezers etc I'd stick with the genuine brother ones.

Quite correct, but they are all Black font on White or Yellow tape/tube in various widths, not that it's restrictive, how many options do we need?

Well I've just bought the draper torque screwdriver as recommended by one of you chaps.
Easy to put the bit in and it stays in firmly, easy to take out. I know lots of you have said armeg or wiha in another thread but I have ignored your wisdom (maybe to my downfall at a later date) and gone for the draper and I like it, plus I saved £200!!!

It's the first time I've ever used a torque screwdriver. I checked the correct eaton torque settings online and used them accordingly for the MCB's and N/E bars. I would say I very slightly overtigthen the MCB's compared to the torque settings and slightly undertighten 1mm cables in the neutral and earth bar. Pretty much what I expected.

I did find it gave me a degree of comfort or assurance when I heard the click though, still not sure if that reliance is good or bad though :D .

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond in this thread.

I see what you mean about 'tightening to a particular torque setting'. I guess they must set the Nm to whatever is safe for the 1mm conductor so it does not cause damage to the copper(yet is tight enough), this same torque setting must be the same for the 6mm which means perhaps we over tighten for the 6mm when using a screwdriver. But can you overtighten a 6mm? If I screw the 6mm in as tight as I possibly can I don't see it getting damaged?
one of the major issues I've heard about NOT using a Torque driver is that we do over tighten the screws as we think they need to be locked down tight, this doesn't seem to be the required case as manufacturers are specifying much lower Nm figures which if we were to either under or over tighten the cables in the terminals and an issue occurs its us who come under scrutiny, but if we are to use the said Torque driver and do as the manufacturer states were not to blame, unfortunately there no way we can prove we followed the manurers specification in the first place, but that said if an issue did come to light and you were put under the spotlight by Health and safety, fire investigators or an insurance company etc if you have a Torque driver to show them thats not clean as a whistle from lack of use then you have a better fighting chance than not owning or using one>

I bought the Wiha Torque driver a couple of years back and just tighten all the screws as I'm finishing off to the specified settings and I include a note of the setting values applied to the terminals on my certificate (Belts and Braces done!!)

Reply to A question about torque screwdrivers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net