Discuss A rare but deserved Christmas "Ta" to DNO... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PEG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not an earth shattering revelation,but after group slagging of the usual suspects,my faith in folk was bolstered today...Rang DNO (Electricity Northwest) yesterday 3pm re;an overdue upgrade on a property i own,vintage 1937, 4pm dude landed,said it's well due,lads will land tomorrow. Chaps arrived after dinner,concerns were raised due to original backing board having rotted away,and surrounding framing long gone...could have toweled it,but asked if i had facilities to make good a mount for their own board..."lets' go for it"...so they shut off,removed cast unit and secured end of pils,i removed all old timber,and fixed a sturdy piece of 20mm phenolic resin board,to masonry,and they fitted their board,and a nice new 100A unit. Cracking set of lads,went the extra mile,and i thanked them heartily. There,it's nice to be nice :icon12:

I’ve never dealt with LV supply companies for 25+ years. Back then it would either be the NWEB or EMEB. I never had a problem with them.

I wish I could say the same for MV supplies, I’d rather put my fingers in a food mincer than deal with UKPN.

The LV teams are a lottery like any career but because they can have large workloads with time constraints then it tends to reflect in their character on site. This is why only the rarer hardiest natural nice guys are far and few between.

My old man used to work for local electric board and at a time they did domestic extra's as a service - think he said he was alloted 1hr to add a socket in a house without any presight of the work needed- but was in a time before routine testing and stricter regulations.

Had a couple of decent guys round today from northern powergrid. Whipped out the knackered old cast head and replaced with a nice new one in no time. Rather them than me wrestling a hundred year old pilc from underneath the decades of under floor rubble and stripping it back whilst wedged in under the stairs.
Bit envious of their all in one padded winter suits though I must say. Like a sleeping bag crossed with overalls....

Had a couple of decent guys round today from northern powergrid. Whipped out the knackered old cast head and replaced with a nice new one in no time. Rather them than me wrestling a hundred year old pilc from underneath the decades of under floor rubble and stripping it back whilst wedged in under the stairs.
Bit envious of their all in one padded winter suits though I must say. Like a sleeping bag crossed with overalls....
Undoubtedly,there will be good and bad crews,up and down the country,it's just nice to hear about the gooduns'. In situations such as yours,Andy,a crew could just jack,and arrange a joint in the drive,to bring a new piece in wherever. This usually means delays and messin',so it assists the job,when lads go that extra mile...:icon12:

Undoubtedly,there will be good and bad crews,up and down the country,it's just nice to hear about the gooduns'. In situations such as yours,Andy,a crew could just jack,and arrange a joint in the drive,to bring a new piece in wherever. This usually means delays and messin',so it assists the job,when lads go that extra mile...:icon12:

Exactly ! One of them was umming and ahhing a bit about the job "We shouldn't be doing this one without a jointing team really" (I have met these 2 before and this guy is the by-the-book company man) The other guy looked at the awkwardness of the job for a bit, sussed it up, then said "Right, pass my tools"
:D
I had mentioned that I had phoned this fault in on Monday. The guy who took the bit between the teeth was cheerily telling me how that would have been a push as they were stacked out with reactive work. He had clocked on this Monday morning and clocked off on Tuesday morning. He retires next year too. What a larker !

these?

www.medialightbox.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/cocoonz_main.jpg

yeah , northwest dno are awesome.

here is a recollection of their activites on my job in the last 7 days...........

the mission - to supply 250A 3ph in new commercial building

day 1 - highways team arrive & excavate footpath ready for cable pulling team to install cable in ducting we've provided into mains room

day 2 - cut out fitting team arrive , and ( after obligatory tea break ) then drive off - the cable hasnt been installed yet.

day 3 - cable pulling team arrive - " hmm , not to sure about that " and ( after obligatory tea break ) then drive off

what "that" was remains unclear at this time :)

day 5 - highways team return , back fill excavation and remove barriers - with no cable / supply / connection done.

lol , you just couldnt make it up.

well , the client can kiss goodbye to any notion of getting the site powered up for xmas :-D

yeah , northwest dno are awesome.

here is a recollection of their activites on my job in the last 7 days...........

the mission - to supply 250A 3ph in new commercial building

day 1 - highways team arrive & excavate footpath ready for cable pulling team to install cable in ducting we've provided into mains room

day 2 - cut out fitting team arrive , and ( after obligatory tea break ) then drive off - the cable hasnt been installed yet.

day 3 - cable pulling team arrive - " hmm , not to sure about that " and ( after obligatory tea break ) then drive off

what "that" was remains unclear at this time :)

day 5 - highways team return , back fill excavation and remove barriers - with no cable / supply / connection done.

lol , you just couldnt make it up.

well , the client can kiss goodbye to any notion of getting the site powered up for xmas :-D

Well there is always next year.

Reply to A rare but deserved Christmas "Ta" to DNO... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock