Discuss A really honest break down of rewire costings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sometimes having 3 or 4 blokes doesn’t always mean the job will be done 3 or 4 times faster , especially if one of them is a brand new apprentice you need to stop every 5 minutes to show how to do things.
a big job like that I would suggest a fortnight for 2 experienced sparks at a nice steady pace. But in artisans case this job seemed to get away from him and needed to work silly hours to get the power back on...
rewires are never easy and as I mentioned in my original post I always seems to underprice them. I used to do silly things like quote £300-350 per room without even really looking properly at things.
would only do rewires on day rate now

If @ArtElectrics is anything like CJR then the extended job time is explained to the customer and that customer isn't charged for the 'waffle' time, so if it can be done in 3 days with no waffle but 5 days with waffle them the customer is charged for 3 and the spark takes the hit as a running cost.

That's how I'd see it, now whether or not I'd work like that I couldn't say, all we can do is speculate, that said Jordan openly admits he charges higher end rates, presumably factoring in waffle time to make content, and it's evident customers are happy to pay it so it must work for him.

In the video he states there were mainly 3 blokes on the job which included Cory and the new apprentice. He ducked in and out to help at times and I guess to also try and film the work. Labour must have been £1000 + per day.

In the video he states there were mainly 3 blokes on the job which included Cory and the new apprentice. He ducked in and out to help at times and I guess to also try and film the work. Labour must have been £1000 + per day.
His rate for himself + apprentice is £80 per hour iirc (he mention this on a previous video)

no idea what he charges the other sparks out at , but iirc he bases his jobs model on £1000 per day for Labour on most jobs

I know a local company that charge an eye watering £1100 + vat for a sparks and mate on rate per day. Crazy money but I always see their vans out and about so much be busy enough at those prices

I think that all may be very useful to a new start up. It accurately shows SNAFU, which all jobs do. I didn't catch what he was rewiring, anyone? I tend to charge 1k per main room. So three bed house, 4 up and 3 down 7k. That is unoccupied. That is a no frills sockets, lights and switches with CU. £1.5k per for more complex set ups. So he was doing a bit more than the basic version, assume 4 bed house. 4 up and 4 down price = £12k. I don't know how I avoided it but I have never drilled a water pipe.

I expect the vast majority of us could charge silly rates if we wanted to , and we'd probably get away with it too. I don't see the money as the main objective though. If I charged £100 p/hour I wouldn't have such a large client base, it would be more emergency call outs and new clients. I like my regular clients, it feels good to look after their electrical needs. That is part of the payment. Money is important though......

I'm not cheap. £60 for the first hour, then £40 p/hour, so I make enough money, but I feel it's the right amount to keep my happy, regular client base with me feeling I am taking advantage of the fact they will always use me.

As for the chap in the video, he is a likeable person and it genuinely sounds like he cares about the customer and does a good job. He probably gets at least £70 p/hour (out of the £80 he charges for himself and the apprentice), that's a very good wage. Perhaps he is erring towards being more of a business man than an electrician though and I wonder how long you keep the enjoyment of your working life then.

Rewire rates have certainly gone up a lot since I started out in the trade.
I remember a basic 3 bed fully chased in rewire being around £1400-1500. I worked on loads during my apprentice days and actually are a good way to cut your teeth in the business.
You would be lucky to get a one bed flat rewired for that price nowadays...
I miss the old days and had the pleasure of working with some excellent old sparks.

I remember Working for firm when the prices where cheep and last week working for that firm before going solo working at a house on me own and a customer at the house says saying cost me a lot of money having this house done and make sure the boxes are straight. Me who gives a f&&k I'm not here next.

I expect the vast majority of us could charge silly rates if we wanted to , and we'd probably get away with it too. I don't see the money as the main objective though. If I charged £100 p/hour I wouldn't have such a large client base, it would be more emergency call outs and new clients. I like my regular clients, it feels good to look after their electrical needs. That is part of the payment. Money is important though......

I'm not cheap. £60 for the first hour, then £40 p/hour, so I make enough money, but I feel it's the right amount to keep my happy, regular client base with me feeling I am taking advantage of the fact they will always use me.

As for the chap in the video, he is a likeable person and it genuinely sounds like he cares about the customer and does a good job. He probably gets at least £70 p/hour (out of the £80 he charges for himself and the apprentice), that's a very good wage. Perhaps he is erring towards being more of a business man than an electrician though and I wonder how long you keep the enjoyment of your working life then.
I meant to say 'not' taking advantage!

Hi Steve.
Totally appreciate your comments but aren't we all a business first and a sparky second?

I want happy customers but not at the detriment to my business and so my rate is based upon my running costs and making a reasonable profit rather than a rate that might make the customer happy.

Material costs are increasing substantially and so to the cost of living so our rates need to reflect this?

I can never get my head around the gas engineers that charge £5 -£10K+ for a new boiler and there are forum members n here that cry out 'rip of merchant' if we charge more than £300 for a CU upgrade?

Reply to A really honest break down of rewire costings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock