Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

After working on a huge project in north west London I now have over £2000 worth of excess stock that I am looking to sell
The company have paid for the parts and i'm taking whatever i'm making on them, see the list of items below, chuck me your best prices and i'll consider selling!

Crabtree 'Capital' 4172 2 Gang 2 Way Switch Plate
Crabtree 'Capital' 4170 1 Gang 2 Way Switch plate
Crabtree 'Capital' 2142 6a 2 way Ceiling switch
Crabtree Startbreaker 413 20mod enclosure with 100/2mt isolator, 363 RCD +ST Busbar
Crabtree Starbreaker 61 - 6amp Type B RCBO
Crabtree Starbreaker 61 - 6amp Single pole Type B MCB
CED SF63 63amp Switch Fuse (with fuses)
Vent-axia Lo carbon quadra 100mm Centrifugal fan HTP
Wylex NHXB06 6a SP type B MCB
Wylex NHXB16 16a SP type B MCB
Wylex NHXB32 32a SP type B MCB
Wylex 6amp type B RCBO
Wylex 16amp type B RCBO
Wylex NH range Dual RCD Split load Consumer unit - 10 way flexible
Wylex NH range Dual RCD Split load insulated consumer unit
Wylex Dual RCD Split load metal FAL unit - 10 way flexible

Any questions get posting!

Can deliver pretty much all over the UK at about £4 for a medium sized consignment

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...-stock-various-brands-bnib.html#ixzz20UvO3OIm

After yesterday EICR i did from now on when i see them in use during an inspection they will be given a C2 i have some pics will post later , a copy of the pics will be sent to trading standards the ESC and HSE

I have just become chairman of our local community hall first job was to get all the plug in socket covers removed and a notice on the board why and any one has any problems regarding them to contact me , pics as promised A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign belan wen 002.JPG - EletriciansForums.netA reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign belan wen 003.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Copy of letter sent to trading standards

Dear Sir
As an electrical engineer carrying out general electrical work , im concerned about the use of the plug in socket covers that are in general use , they appear to have become a requirment for and building that may have children , and to be honest they could potentially be very dangerous ,
Every socket outlet in use in the uk has to comply to BS1363 and all these sockets have shutters that cover the terminals and only open when the plug is inserted , I have lost count the amount of time i have had to attend to a socket where the earth pin of these covers has snapped off when they are removed leaving the shutters open , and have come across sockets where they cannot insert a plug and have found the earth pin of these covers stuck in the earth terminal ,again leaving the shutters open , i have recently done an Electrical installation condition report on a property where these were in use and found 2 of these plug in covers had had the earth pins broken off with shutters open , I have come to the conclusion that these covers are potentially dangerous and its only a matter of time before some one is injured as a resault of there use , I cannot understand why they are being used as the shutters in the sockets themselves acts as a safety barrier , another problem with these covers i have come accross is they bend if a child were to insert the socket cover upside down they will bend and open the shutters where if you did the same with a plug top it cannot be inserted into a socket when upside down so the barriers are protecting the live terminals , i have attatched 2 pictures of sockets discovered during an electrical safety check , if you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me
yours

As I pointed out in an earlier post:
These covers do not come under the scope of BS1363 as socket accessories.
They are classified as “toys” BS71. So long as little Johnny can’t swallow and choke on them they’ve passed.
One other thing to point out is we are referring to BS1363 sockets only. Many sockets used worldwide benefit from the use of covers.

This makes interesting reading and shows some of the crap other countries use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

how do we stop these from being sold? earth sleeving was a big enough issue to be enforced by law, but somehow this isn't? these don't even have the same dimensions as a bs1363 plug. why can't they be made illegal to sell.

the worst thing is that my family have used these on almost every socket and almost got electrocuted trying to get one of those *******s out of the wall with a knife.

I just emailed the link to this thread and to the campaign homepage to Clive Holland asking if either he would give us some publicity or pass it on to someone who will.
Fingers crossed guys.

Watchdog now know about it too, whether or not they do anything is debatable but it's worth a try.
Now everyone, when you get 5 minutes drop an email to your local papers, TV stations and local radio, it's all well and good complaining here but the more muck we throw around the more chance we have of some sticking. We're all complaining about how slack we are so let's make some noise about this.

I sent this link via e-mail to all my local nurseries, i got one reply being:

Ofstead demand that nurseries use the plug in socket protectors, and if not then it affects our ofstead report so we cannot take them out..

So i sent an email to Ofstead and have had no reply >.>

Maybe everyone needs to send the link and email to ofstead see if they can pull there finger out and instead of giving nurseries + schools better scores for using these they might realised that they should give better scores for NOT using these.

Is there any link or news report of any kid, adult etc dying from this way? As in the adaptor earth pin snapping and someone getting electrocuted? That would be a help in the case

Id also like to add I went to Cadbury World last weekend, they had them in there sockets... I emailed them no response lol

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock