Discuss a shove in the right direction please ! 2365 design project Q3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys , hoping someone can help
I was due to finish the 2365 course in April this year but with 2 weeks to go some virus came along ( you might have heard about it ? )
just back into the training centre and got the last science exam finished off with merit so quite a relief .

unfortunately with not being in for so long we have only just got the projects returned with feedback ( and there was lots !! )

I've pushed through and am pretty happy with the work I've produced but just a little stuck on question 3 which is

select with aid of manufacturers data , a suitable range of circuit protective devices for this contract , your selection should be based on the following
prospective short circuit currents
requirements for additional protection and special locations

the answer I had submitted was the following
For this installation I shall be using mainly RCBOs as combined RCD and MCB protection for earth leakage fault , short circuit and overload protection , this will be used to protect all circuits ( at a rating appropriate to each individual circuit that will be specified in a table for Q4 ) apart from the two fridge circuits near the kitchen when will have the RCD element omitted and MCBs used instead to avoid unwanted tripping. A separate risk assessment has shown that as not in public areas and only operated by staff this is acceptable.

All breakers must be rated at 6Ka to ensure they can take the maximum 5Ka prospective short circuit current .

which i was told was outdated and requires additional support anyone have an idea what more they might be looking for and if you've answered this question recently how much did you put into it ?

It is asking you to look at manufacturers data as well so I suspect just stating rcbo or MCB won't suffice. They'll be looking for (not exhaustive list);
  • Brand and reasoning behind it
  • Device Type (MCB/rcbo)
  • Device characteristics (Type A, Type B, Type AC)
  • Calculation to support choose of device.

I would imagine simply putting PSCC and PFC values won't be enough, they want information from trip curves.

'I chose X brand device with a y tripping characteristic due to xyz equipment being in use.

A y type device will achieve ADS in X time because.....

You get the idea? The clue is what the question is asking of you, you just have to think why am I being asked to use manufacturers data rather than OSG/7671

thanks guys, so i broke down the reasons for the protective devices , went to manufacturers spec page and copied all of the details with pics etc and all ok thanks for the poiinters

and RE the rcd ommited for the fridges , that was stipulated in the question so just mentioned that and selected appropriate mcb rather than rcbo

thanks again

Reply to a shove in the right direction please ! 2365 design project Q3 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock